Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By JMan8108
#18064 Well ever since I bought the car ive been wanting to do a little bodywork and shoot some new paint. Ive been reading, learning, and planning for pry the last 6 months. I got an HVLP gun as a gift back in May, and now im finally ready to use it. Im going to go buy all my supplies today and possibly start on bodywork. Im hoping to have this all finished up by Sunday night so I can drive to work Monday morning. Im going to be doing the "50 Dollar Paint Job" as Im sure many of you have seen on various boards. If you don't know what im talking about check it out here- http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1555133&page=1
Im going to be doing gloss white with a gloss black roof. I think it will flow good with my CF hood and CF duckbill(when I buy it) Here are pics of why I am doing this. The body isnt horrible but these things make it enough to motivate me for this project. Anyway here they are-
By JMan8108
#18168 Well small update. Yesterday I went to a couple stores and bought all my supplies. Cost around 160 dollars for everything. Im going to start body work today and hopefully finish all that up by the end of tomorrow. It should be pretty easy as im just taking care of surface rust and a few dings and scratches. Anyway here is a picture of my supply table..
Hopefully ill post an update at the end of the day where I got with bodywork.
By york62
#18175 good luck keep us updated!
By chnzgoofball
york62 wrote:good luck keep us updated!

x2 but that rust seems like u may have to cut it out and reweld it...
By JMan8108
chnzgoofball wrote:
york62 wrote:good luck keep us updated!

x2 but that rust seems like u may have to cut it out and reweld it...

The only rust that had came through completely was the quarter. There was a few little holes...I couldve gotten a new piece welded in but for only like 3 small holes its not worth it. I just used some of the filler/short fiberglass stuff to cover over the holes. If it comes back and the holes are larger/more I might get a new piece welded in but until then this should work fine. I got all the surface rust and gay airbrushed decals sanded down, Filled in a couple small rust holes, and now I am in the process of finishing that up and getting it smooth/flush. I have one pic off the hatch with no decals on it....
Hopefully tomorrow I will get everything wetsanded with 400grit and all ready for paint.
By JMan8108
#18253 Whew that was a long day... Just got all finished up for the night. Here is an updated pic of the quarter panel I took. Filler/Glassed, Smoothed, Putty, more smoothing, then just a few quick coats of primer. Sorry for all my shitty cell phone quality pics....

Its coming along pretty good
By JMan8108
#18336 Another day.... Today I got most everything off the car, masked everything but the windshield, and got the car 95% done with the initial 400 grit wetsand to get through the OEM clear coat. Ive got a few pics from all the masking...Better quality pics will be taken after everything is finished with my buddies digital rebel.... anyway here they are-

Tomorrow I need to just finish that last bit of wetsanding, do a few putty touch ups, and fix one dent I missed. Then I should be able to start spraying. My goal is to get all that and two coats of paint on tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
By sihatch9508
#18345 good luck jordan!
By vtec_gloucester
#18352 so far so good.... DIY FTW :thumb:
By Bouli
#18354 looking & sounding good.

love DIY
By JMan8108
#18474 Update- Finished my wetsanding, Got everything finished up masking wise, made my garage into a paint booth, and fixed one dent i forgot....then I sprayed my first coat. Came out really good, but I think on the next one I will turn the pressure/fluid down so it doesnt quite spray out as hard. Other than that I should be good to go. We were gonna do another coat tonight but didnt want to because we were afraid of the work lamps catching on fire with all those fumes in the air. Owell tomorrow I will be shooting another coat early,waiting, wetsanding, then hopefully getting another coat or two on. No pics for right now because my cell cam cant take anything good.
By JMan8108
#18760 Haven't updated in a few days so i figured why not.....
I got 5 coats of paint on the car. I also have the drivers side door and quarter panel completely wetsanded, compounded, and polished. It looks really good, its a mirror like finish im sure very close to OEM which is what I was shooting for with this project. Hopefully tonight ill get the rest of the sanding, compounding, and polishing done except for a few parts i need to respray do to a lil heavy sanding. High Quality pics will be up when im finished.
By JMan8108
#19387 Project is 99% done

Teaser pic-
By vtec_gloucester
#19405 i want more pics :D
By JMan8108
#19433 Should be getting my buddy who has a good camera to take some pics this weekend