In Car Entertainment & Security
By Radix
#329015 I have a couple aftermarket JBL Speakers I want to install. I have two 4x6 and two 6x9. Where would be the best place to put these and how would I go about doing it?
By madhatchride
#329016 what body style car are you installing them in ?
By Radix
#329018 Forgot to add that. It's a 92 DX hatch. The front doors already have aftermarket speakers, but I will eventually change them, I hate kenwoods.
By madhatchride
#329020 in my hatch i took out the back plastic peices that where removable in the quarter panel and made me a mount inside of there. then took the plastic peices and dremeled slits or louvers like the front speaker panels are and it sounded great thats about the only place i could find in the hatches to put extra speakers
By Radix
#329022 Do you have pics of the set up?

I'm trying to make mine look very clean and not like it was a backyard job.
By rustyrex
#329023 there is enought room in the door structure and behind the factory grills to install the 6x9s there. you are definetly gonna have to cut the door panel so the speaker doesnt hit. but if you make you cut carefully the grill will still clip onto the door panel just like factory. i have done it before. my words of advice are to measure like 10 times.

i have a 95 hatch and the previous owner cut the cargo cover for 6x9s. they are completely pointless back there. i installed my old pair of Digital Audio 6x9 components and i ecen have a rockford 300.2 hooked up the them. my front sound stage overpowers them and my front components are only hooked up to my headunit.
By Radix
#329071 The door already has speakers in it, I don't want to retrofit into there, I'm looking for extra locations. I know the two by the backseat would work, but how I would go about putting it in and looking good, and flush, and whatnot is a mystery.

Another space for the two 4x6 is also being looked for.
By rustyrex
#329072 The easiest way to fit 6x9 s in the back is to make a baffle out of either abs or mdf that fit the speaker and mounting location. Then you have to modify the factory covet or find OEM covers. I plan on putting 2 4" O2 loud speakers in the rear factory locations as soon as its warm enough to fiberglass. I want to start modifying the factory covers soon. I will be posting a DIY on how I do it and how to make proper baffles using mdf. I have had a few forums ask me to do this because when people see my speaker baffles they don't understand why they have a weird color.
By Radix
#329073 How should I go about modifying the covers? That's the part I'm not finding much info with. My friend who has schooling in audio, and use to do competition is helping me set everything up. So that part I have covered.

Besides OEM I can't find any cover solutions.
By rustyrex
#329080 You can use a dremel with a router bit and cut your own slots in it or get some speaker grill cloth and cut a hole in the panel and cover the whole thing in the grill cloth. If your friend went to MECP school and used to do this professionally he should be able to figure out like 100 different ways to make speaker grills and integrate them. Best Buy sent me to Installers Institute when I did installs with them. The schools tech you that stuff in the first week.
By Radix
#329102 I have not talked to him about making holes and what not for it yet so i had no clue he would know about that.

where is a good location for the 4x6?
By rustyrex
#329104 With using all the factory locations there really isn't a place left. Are you looking to add the 6x9s and 4x6s on top of the regular speakers or will they replace them?
By Radix
#329106 im adding all 4. i can run new wire i just need a place for them
By rustyrex
#329107 there arent many places to mount extra speakers. especially oval ones. if they were like 6.5s yo could make fiberglass pods for them. you can make pods for oval speakers as well its just a pain in the ass.
By Radix
#329112 I just took the speakers to the car and it looks like they will both fit in that rear spot. the smaller one closer to the front. this is what I am most likely going to do. there literally was no other option