In Car Entertainment & Security
By leonsel
#319880 I bought this thing.
Now I thought it was just a simple installation (I guess it is but can't make it work)

There are 6 wires. 4 of them match the OEM speaker wires. Then a black (ground) and a Grey/white for power. I opened it up to see what it looked like etc.

On the circuit board it says, next to the connector, L+R (+ & -) of course. Gnd (ground). And CONT + B. Now I have no idea what the B would be? And I guess that is why I doesn't work yet.

Hoping someone on here can help me out. This is the one I have.

By rustyrex
#319890 Usually when the wire is marked like that its for constants power. However I would connect it to a switched power source and see if it works. Something like the radio fuse
By asianrob
#319953 it would probably be wired just like a regular amp ground power and remote.
By leonsel
#319955 Ground and power I get. But what would the remote be. Do I maybe have to splice the power wire somehow?

I had it wired like I thought it would be. So 4 wires going to the same color speaker wires. And ground and power. But nothing happened. Could always be a broken sub, I don't know. But something tells me I need to wire it differently.
By rustyrex
#319956 Connect the remote to a switched power. Windshield wiper or something like that. All it needs is minimal voltage to turn on. It's a remote turn on lead.
By asianrob
#319969 if you have an aftermarket radio i would just use the harness (coming from the radio side to the connector), use the amp turn on (blue/white wire most of the time) and run that along the chassis to where your sub is going to be and do it like that. but i wouldnt do it until you test it before laying wire.
By rustyrex
#319970 ^^correct. I don't know why but I just assumed he had a factory radio. If you do have q factory radio that can control q factory cd changer you can use those wires. I went to a junk yard and bought a extra changer cord and made my own aux in for my phone. I used a a/v switcher to stop ground noise. It takes some planning and wireing know how but it is easily done
By leonsel
#319973 Okay I got it to work.

Now I have another ''small'' problem.

It has a 1.2ohm 55w speaker in it. This is worn out, one of those paper things. Now I would like to change it of course. Problem is finding a 1.2ohm speaker. Could I do with a 2ohm?

I don't have the OEM radio. And this subwoofer is now connected between the radio and the speakers (of course).
By rustyrex
#319983 2 ohm will work but it will not sound as good. The higher the impedence the amp sees the less power it will produce
By Flatland_EG
#319987 ^^True. But if he replaces it with a better quality woofer in combination with a his aftermarket deck I think the sound will be just fine or maybe better than it would've been with the old paper cone speaker, might have to turn the gain up a bit more if anything. 8)
By rustyrex
#319990 The gain is not a volume control. The gain basically dictates the amount of power the woofer receives. If he gets a 2 ohm woofer with a very high BL factor that can handle about 80 watts it will work beautifully. The BL factor is a number in the Thiele small parameters. It is used to figure which type of enclosure the woofer can be used in. In layman's terms, a high BL factor would work best because it indicates that woofer will react quickly and efficiently with little power and be suitable to a small enclosure. Now the issue is to find a 2 ohm woofer with a higher than average BL in a small diameter.
By leonsel
#320025 Thanks for all the info guys, noob when it comes to audio.

Is the BL factor something that is usually in the specs of the speaker?

I haven't found a small 2ohm so far. 3ohm I did find.

But what would it do to the subwoofer itself? Would it get damaged because of the difference?
By Flatland_EG
rustyrex wrote:The gain is not a volume control. The gain basically dictates the amount of power the woofer receives.

Yes, I am aware of this. :thumb:
There are a number of decent woofers on the market geared toward small enclosures for stealth, truck or any applications were a small profile is wanted or needed. His best bet would be to find the cu/in of the enclosure and go from there, if he can find one that's close a little poly-fill should make up the difference. :)

BTW, what size was the woofer itself? It looks like a pretty small enclosure so if I'd have to guess I'd say a 6" or maybe an 8".
By leonsel
Flatland_EG wrote:His best bet would be to find the cu/in of the enclosure and go from there, if he can find one that's close a little poly-fill should make up the difference. :)

BTW, what size was the woofer itself? It looks like a pretty small enclosure so if I'd have to guess I'd say a 6" or maybe an 8".

Come again :P. Cu/in?, and what do you mean with the poly-fill should make up for it.

Didn't pay attention to it to be honest, but my guess would be it is an 6''
By rustyrex
#320034 Polyfill is basically the stuff pillows are made out of. It tricks the woofer into acting like its in a bigger box. And the BL is usually listed on the woofer spec sheet. Not every company put the spec sheets in the box so you might have to call. And you need the recommended box size= cu.feet not cubic inches. The equation to find the cubic feet of a box is: length*width*height/1728.