In Car Entertainment & Security
By JohnAWESOME
#230587 Ok so for Christmas I got a Sony CDx-gt700hd head unit. Got it installed and working but I only have the front speakers which are 2-way infinitys. Anyways it sounds like the music is coming through a tin can what are my options? I think I read that there are wires that run back to the rear seats for speakers and was wondering if there are any good full range 5.5 speakers or if I should just build a box and put in two 6x9s and a 10" sub. Also is wording up a amp to power the sub be easy. And one more noon question is I have two RCA looking wires that are ran from the back up to the stereo that were already there and also a heavy duty power wire in the back is that all for an amp or sub?
By doubskie
#230681 as far as the speakers go, why are you asking about 5.5s? if its because you already have a place to mount them then yes, definitely just buy some 5.5s. there are plenty of very good sounding 5.5s. but if you have no spot for them all ready and easy to install you could go with building a box for 6X9s. they would sound a little bit better just due to the bigger size. you can also get mounting brackets for your side panels in the back seat area. thats the best way..takes up no cargo space whatsoever.

wiring up an amp for subs s extremely easy if you understand what all the wires are for and know what wires it takes to power an amp.

12V POWER CABLE(4-0 gauge wire: best way= goes straight the positive bat terminal. MAKE SURE YOU WIRE A AMP FUSE CLOSE TO THE BATTERY. if you dont do that, your amp will eventually get fried.)

REMOTE wire (20-14 gauge wire..wire it to your remote wire on your stereo[usually blue] straight to the amp. this makes the amp lose power when the stereo is turned off so you dont drain your battery)

GROUND (straight to negative battery terminal or anywhere on the frame)

RCA CABLES (red and black- your "music connection" so the sub will actually play with your music.)

SPEAKER CABLES (positive and negative just straight to your speakers. there are different ways to wire them to your speakers. but you only need to know that if you'll be bridging(combing two or more channels to give more power output) your amp)

and your wires were most likely amp wiring. if they 12v is still connected to the battery leave it in and find the other end. then check it with wire tester to make sure its not interrupted anywhere in the middle.

if you don't know much about sound systems and amps and how they work. id suggest researching it a lot before trying to install one yourself. once you know exactly how everything on a sound system works its very easy to install any components.

hers a real simple diagram of basic amp wiring if it helps
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=13yigwy&s=3
By JohnAWESOME
#230725 hey that is tons of help . Since I am kinda electrically handicapped. I will check out to see where everything is going and if they are good. I will post again when I figure out what I am going to do.
By LSVTIEG
#245279 dont forget to check polarity of your speakers to make sure that they are in phase. all your cones shoul be moving in the same direction. ypu can check this from behind the radio using a 9v battery. if you have a wire harness adapter it is prety simple. white wires are your front left, grey wires are your front right, purple wires are rear right & green wires are rear left. the wires with black lines are yoyr speaker negatives.
start by cutting your speaker wires behind the radio. strip about 1/4-1/2" of the shielding off the speaker wires on the car side. take your 9v battery & touch the leads to the speaker wires, solid to positive, stripe to negative. if all speakers are in phase the cones will all push out. if one or more speakers pull then that speaker is out of phase. to fix this you can fix it in 1 of 2 locations. 1 you can just hook the wires in reverse to the radio putting the speaker back on phase or 2 switch the at the speaker. id just do it at the aspeaker, it makes it easier in the future if you ever change the radio out again.
having 1 or more speakers out of phase can & will affect the quality of your sound system.