ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By jeron_imo31
#249581 I have used the search function and found nothing that would help, I also found a couple diagrams floating around that werent even close to what my wiring is so here goes. I have obd1 harness and obd2 distributor, now some people say its straight forward and all the colors match, on mine thats not close a couple match but thats it. On my engine harness the colors are as follows: org, org/blu, blu/grn, yel/grn, white, white/blu, blu/orange. and the large gauge black/yellow wire and the small gauge blue. Now on the obd2 plug im wiring to the obd1 harness i have: yel/grn, dark blue, grn, yellow, black, red, white , light blue, then the heavy gauge black/yel. I need the correct diagram to wire this and make it work. If anyone could help that would rock. Sorry about the long drawn out post but im lost and i cant find anything anywhere that helps.
By forcefedEG
#249609 Msd makes an adapter harness its on there website and jegs.com.
Passwordjdm also sells one....

I've made my own before too though, the colors may not always match but there order and where they pin into the harness is the same and they go into the same order :thumb:
By Classiccarsrule85
#249747 wouldn't there be a issue with the distributors position sensor ? obd2 cars from what i remember pick up their signal from a crank position sensor but the obd1-0 cars have their pickup in the distributor (cam position sensor) im not 100% on this but pretty sure...

unless your doing a obd2 swap or have a obd2 oil pump and wiring it may be unable to run very well or at all??

but yea if you pull up a pin out or a haynes/chilton manual might even be able to find something online with the wire colors you should be able to get an accurate color assessment then but they should be pretty darn close to the same.
By forcefedEG
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:wouldn't there be a issue with the distributors position sensor ? obd2 cars from what i remember pick up their signal from a crank position sensor but the obd1-0 cars have their pickup in the distributor (cam position sensor) im not 100% on this but pretty sure...

unless your doing a obd2 swap or have a obd2 oil pump and wiring it may be unable to run very well or at all??

but yea if you pull up a pin out or a haynes/chilton manual might even be able to find something online with the wire colors you should be able to get an accurate color assessment then but they should be pretty darn close to the same.

Not an issue at all, that sensor on the crank on obd2 cars is a crankshaft fluctuation sensor, its kinda like a secondary input not the primary pickup..... I have actually done this setup on 3 of my own cars and made my own harnesses as well to do it and it works perfect... in the haynes manual if you look between the obd2 wiring and obd1 you can see the crank fluctuation sensor is actually like an addition to what's already there from the obd1 sensors, the main crank sensor still exists in the distributor.... its not nessacery at all on an obd1 setup to try and wire that sensor in, your obd1 computer dosent look for it anyway.... :wink:
By jeron_imo31
#249859 Thanks for the help guys... :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#249997 If it's D series, there's no need to use an OBD2 distributor. You can use any non VTEC OBD1 D series distributor on any OBD2 D series engine.