H22A
By 92dxeg
#197015 ok iam going to try to get anthor eg or ek coupe i want to do an h swap, and iam prolly going to do all H none of that h2b shit. more then likly its prolly going to be boosted. what does it take to boost an H if i just get dart sleevs should i be set? does any1 no what it would take to do this build and how much boost can we handle i am aware of the thin cylinder walls.
By dawg316
#197082 h22 are more of a n/a based engine shure there some nice turbo setups but you just cant boost a H as easy as you can boost a D or a B series. examples why, the h22 have FRM cylinder walls which need sleves, which inturn need to be bored which takes a more difficult process. 2nd the h22 turbo manifolds cost a lil bit more then a d or a b series. if you want to swap in an "H" and have fun then do so. if you want a turbo'd honda. do it the eazy way. boost a d16z6 or a b18a/b.
By 92dxeg
#197119 yea your prolly right the swap in my hatch that iam doing now is a turbo poor mans type r. and i was kinda thinking about an all motor car so i will just do an h22 but iam going to keep the long geared h trans its going to be a highway car lol
By chrono404
#197169 If you want to bulid an H for boost heres a cheap route. Get a F22B, It has Iron Walls and Low Compression pistons from Honda. Put some Arp Rod Bolts in the bottom end, New Headgasket and Arp head bolts to tighten a H22A DOHC VTEC head on top of everything then Boost Away. The H22a tranny will be shorter geared then the F22 Tranny. However its still very freeway friendly.

If your going to to Drag racing or driving fast in a straight line H's/F's are good to go with. When you mount the H/F in your bay, alot of the weight it put in frount of the struts so it will fit under the hood. Thus giving under steer. If you want to Auto Cross or Touge, Consider a B Series such as B18b/GSR Tranny or B20b/z and GSR Tranny for goals of fast torquey car however still good freeway driving.
By dawg316
#197229 the H seires only ways about 60 lbs ( IIRC) more then a b series. which seems like alot but nothing a lil weight reduction / batery relocation cant fix. throw in a cf hood,counter ballanced coilovers on a scale and some aliuminum parts you will be killing the compition. h-series give good low end torque and are still cheaper then the k-series.

all motors h22 babby !!
By 92dxeg
#197250 thanks for the info guys its just around were i live every one is like do a k do a k. i mean i lik ethem and all but there just so much money. and i kinda see the h as being the cheaper way out i mean i think it would be faster then a stock gsr stock vs stock. and with work done maybe as fast as a k who knows. i am just trying to better myself. and iam just thinking of another project
By chrono404
dawg316 wrote:the H seires only ways about 60 lbs ( IIRC) more then a b series.

Its not the extra weight thats the issue, Its where the weight is. The weight is in front of the struts which will give understeer.

Thus why if handling is important I recommend against this swap, If Drag racing is the end goal then its a good route to go.
By 92dxeg
#197366 well i would like to drive it around town and shit like that and what kind of suspension should i upgrade to should i go back to stock hight
becuz i have tokito struts and springs
By dawg316
#197454 yo can keep your stock spring shock combo, wouldnt lower it too much with a heavier engine in there. you can also swap back to oem springs if you feel like it. or just go the good ol' roote of coilovers
By 92dxeg
#197547 ok lets just say if i sleeve an h22 with dart sleevs how much psi do you think i would be able to handle???
By dawg316
#197561 hard to say, if your going to the trouble of re sleaving then why not chuck in better rods...ect

also cant realy say how much psi it will take, think more of hp , becuase 5psi from a small 14b isnt the same as 5 psi from a fatty garret turbo.
By 92dxeg
#197601 yea yea true i was going to use a t3/t4 turbonectic turbo
By mooze
92dxeg wrote:ok iam going to try to get anthor eg or ek coupe i want to do an h swap, and iam prolly going to do all H none of that h2b shit. more then likly its prolly going to be boosted. what does it take to boost an H if i just get dart sleevs should i be set? does any1 no what it would take to do this build and how much boost can we handle i am aware of the thin cylinder walls.

its not so much as the cylinder walls are 2 thin. its that they dont expand because of the the materials they are made of. heat causes expansion which h sleeves try to eliminate. reason y most forged pistons dont work well with h series. pistons expand and sleeves dont what does that leave u with
By 92dxeg
#201356 so if i was to get aftermarket sleevs would i still face the smae prob the sleeves wanting to expaind or is that just stock sleeves??
By Honda4life
#201357 I agree with you on the k series. Yes they are nice, but they are so pricey. H22 is the motor that can beat a k series but it's so heavy and so is the tranny. H22 is more of a n/a build and even if you do boost it it won't last long. All the weight will be in the front which will create a ton of under steer