General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
#16851 I was motivated to do this after seeing how nice York62's oil pan turned out :thumb:
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1134

Here's the used oil pan... It has the oil return tube already welded in for turbo setup.

after grinding it with a wire wheel on a drill:

I thought about sandblasting, but there would be no way to know for sure if any sand was left inside of the baffles in the bottom of the pan.

Next I sprayed it with Self Etching Primer, excellent for bonding to bare metal.

3 light coats

Then I had some Black Engine enamel, 1200?F High heat. The regular 500?F would have worked fine but I didn't have any there.

the end :D
By ChicagoMike
#16855 Hmmmmm, now I got to go see the condition of mine. :lol:
By vtec_gloucester
#16863 yet another great write up :thumb:
By york62
#16878 :woot: ... i used normal paint i think i may go buy some high heat and re do it !
By MrLayLo
#38320 good write up, but has anyone ever done a crazy oil pan color? if not.. maybe I will give it a shot! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :woot:
By id3379
#53016 tite thanks
By Graham
MrLayLo wrote:good write up, but has anyone ever done a crazy oil pan color? if not.. maybe I will give it a shot! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :woot:

Yeah im gonna paint a beach scene on mine with surfers and sharks and stuff :thumb:
By CivicTypeR
#53056 lol, mines just undersealed black. yummy.

Maybe a naked woman would look good, something to look at when working under the car.
By SloppyYoda
#53068 im puttung off changing my dented oil pan, i really don't want to take the exaust off.
By stefan
#53144 That's just sloppy man... :D
By SloppyYoda
#53146 it is, but thats just how i roll haha
By stefan
#53193 LOL

Get a brush and some Hammerite, degrease the thing and paint it black :P
By courtottman
#114960 looks sweeet. im dropping in a b18, might do that before i put it in :thumb:
By ungars664
#134178 Thats nice! Now instead of buying a brand new oil pan for my 01 civic (I know it's a 7th gen but still a civic) It got some heavy rust on it :( (Canada winters) and now I have to wait to next oil change to do and I'm gonna need to buy a gasket for it and paint. Thx teal_dx for the effort you put in the forum.