ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By Scottyboiboi
#345090 Hello forum, this weekend i replaced my s9b lsd gearbox for a s80 lsd gearbox on my b16a2, also put a lightened flywheel in as well. When changing these i accidentally burst a hose and coolant leaked onto the connections of the speedo sensor that bolts onto the top of the gearbox. I didn't know this until i drove for several miles. The speedo didn't work to begin with then it starting coming and going. I thought leaving the connections to dry would eventually fix it but now it doesn't work at all. Another thing i noticed is that vtec seemed to only work when the speedo was working. Something to note is that i took the sensor for the speedo out of the s9b box and put it into the s80 so i don't know if this could be responsible for these problems. If anyone could give me advice or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
By Scottyboiboi
#345108 Suppose that's the next best thing to do, now just the problem of sourcing that exact part:p the coolant only sprayed onto the speedo sensor to be fair which is only 3 cables in a plug. Just seems weird that it would work for a while then just stop again.
By ihavesol93
#345109 vtec is controlled by oil pressure, throttle pressure, and rpm. the rpm goes to the ecu first. then to the tach. if the tach doesnt work either will your vtec.
By Scottyboiboi
#345110 So do you reckon if i got a working tach/speedo from an s80 box it should solve both problems? Still don't know if it was the coolant that has caused the tach to go faulty.
By ihavesol93
#345111 i don't think the speedo is the problem, cause its only the speedo, or is it the speedo/tach/gas/temp. should be the vss
By Scottyboiboi
#345115 Speedo. Been doing more research on it and it seems to be a faulty vss sensor. Probably due to coolant being splashed onto it. This week gonna borrow a friends vss sensor and swap them to see if it works.
By Scottyboiboi
#345117 Nah i had to use it for the gearbox that i put on.
By Scottyboiboi
#345184 Problem has been found. It actually turned out to be the plug that plugs into the vss sensor. It's a 3 pin plug but in closer inspection one of the pins had been corroded and broken off. Lickily a friend had a spare loom in which i could take a plug from. Swapped the new plug on, runs sweet as a nut. Speedo and vtec working perfectly