Members with similar rides and interests can unite here!
By teal_dx
#305642 If you have painted your car with rattle cans, post some pics, what kind of paint you used, how many coats, clear coat (if applicable) and your finish process (wetsand/polish).
Lets keep this thread informative :thumb:

Rustoleum Army Green, $3.50 each from home depot.
Approx 12 cans used, got me 7-8 coats on body. (didn't do hood or roof) Bay & door jambs also painted to match. First coats were light-medium and final coat was a 'wet' coat, slightly thicker.
No clear coat.
I never wet sanded, polished or waxed. After a few years the paint was becoming more and more satin looking (from UV exposure I assume).
Then I wetsanded with 1500 and 2000 grit and buffed with a medium-high compound by Mothers using an orbital buffer.
Still no clear coat, I just keep a coat of wax on it.

right after painting:

A few years later the paint had lost some shine and was looking more satin:

After wetsanding/polish:

I used rustoleum in my home garage because of budget reasons, liking the color and to prove all the rattle can haters wrong :D
Yes you can get a nice paint job on a budget without a compressor or paint gun equipment.
By 95kuope
#305656 that look bad ass for rattle can job.

looking forward to see more...
By 92civic_vx
#305689 my old 92 sedan, 18 cans of krylon white from walmart no clear or wetsanding. done in my driveway

By bOOsted_Z6
#305734 just regular rustoluem rattle cans from home depot, no clear or wet sanding. (pics were taken with old hatch that was rusted, new rust free flat black one is currently on the car.) my mother is better at tapping off than i am
By 94 EG Hatch
#307043 Engine Bay: 1st coat is Dupli-Color Hi-Heat Engine Enamel and 2nd coat is Krylon Red.

Body, Krylon Gloss Black (2 coats so far, 3rd one to come with clear coating).

Pics:

Sorry if they are gigantic, I still havent figured out how to scale them down :/

There ya go :)
By drivehrideh
teal_dx wrote:If you have painted your car with rattle cans, post some pics, what kind of paint you used, how many coats, clear coat (if applicable) and your finish process (wetsand/polish).
Lets keep this thread informative :thumb:

Rustoleum Army Green, $3.50 each from home depot.
Approx 12 cans used, got me 7-8 coats on body. (didn't do hood or roof) Bay & door jambs also painted to match. First coats were light-medium and final coat was a 'wet' coat, slightly thicker.
No clear coat.
I never wet sanded, polished or waxed. After a few years the paint was becoming more and more satin looking (from UV exposure I assume).
Then I wetsanded with 1500 and 2000 grit and buffed with a medium-high compound by Mothers using an orbital buffer.
Still no clear coat, I just keep a coat of wax on it.

right after painting:

A few years later the paint had lost some shine and was looking more satin:

After wetsanding/polish:

I used rustoleum in my home garage because of budget reasons, liking the color and to prove all the rattle can haters wrong :D
Yes you can get a nice paint job on a budget without a compressor or paint gun equipment.

dude your a crazy with spray paint
By TrailerTrash
#314659 Krylon Ocean Breeze Blue gloss. i wish it was flat cause shine is fine but flat is where its at. but it turned out good. took 3 coats to cover all the dark sanded spots.

no clear coat and no wetsanding waxing or any of that fancy stuff.

By bOOsted_Z6
TrailerTrash wrote:Krylon Ocean Breeze Blue gloss. i wish it was flat cause shine is fine but flat is where its at. but it turned out good. took 3 coats to cover all the dark sanded spots.

no clear coat and no wetsanding waxing or any of that fancy stuff.

shits hot! my fiance is in love with your car haha
By jhicks
#314694 dont ever go on Honda-tech and say your car was rattle canned, they will never stop harassing you. lol

Thats why i like this site better, its just not as busy.

i love rattle can paint jobs.
By TrailerTrash
jhicks wrote:dont ever go on Honda-tech

fixed
By jhicks
TrailerTrash wrote:

fixed

Huh? :?
By brandoff88
TrailerTrash wrote:

fixed

hahah this guy, and yeah i rattle canned my car too, not done, because im making sure to get a good thick layer everywhere, i keep having issues where its too thin and i go to wetsand with 2000 grit and i still expose primer lol but heres so far

5 cans flat black walmart brand .98 cents each..no clear just lots of sanding and spraying

the only pic i have right now for reason...the front half from doors up is still primer/red/black lol...ill be finishing that up once i find a front bumper cover and get some more warm weather.