General exhaust discussion & questions
By myers503
#346754 94 sedan
b18b1 - stock
aftermarket header

going with
2.25" piping from header back, looking for some good muffler ideas.

videos a plus!!!

just need the muffler.
By Uknterror
#346785 Depends, the mufflers that are literately used in almost any mid to high hp setup that bother to use one is vibrant. Thats if you want a deep non raspy muffler, but others that are almost as good are apexi, magnaflow, yokana, and thermal. These are the brands known for very good quality and deep notes.
By CopyLifted
#346797 For a nice deep tone non raspy and no highway drone, Yonaka. I've had mine for a year now and it still sounds great
By Leppy
#346798 I've been using a cheap DNX branded flow-through muffler for around 4 years or so and it's deep and non-raspy on my B18C. I have a resonator in-line with the pipes halfway through the car, too, which I think is crucial to keeping the tones deep without drone.
By Axix23
#346873 i vote for the flat black vibrant muffler, super deep low noise.

pair it with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator as well...

By myers503
#346877 What will the resonater do? Was thinking of removing
By Axix23
#346881 makes the exhaust more quiet. removes raspyiness. you don't want to remove it or it will sound like shit. Unless you got a turbo on your car, i say keep it on. the turbo will make your exhaust alot more quiet.
By Uknterror
#346910 Resonator does not restrict flow like people think. It's VERY important part of the exhaust that greatly reduces raspyness
By Leppy
Uknterror wrote:Resonator does not restrict flow like people think. It's VERY important part of the exhaust that greatly reduces raspyness

Yeah, even a Cherry Bomb style glass pack resonator will deepen the tone too when it's in the middle of the piping and paired with the right muffler.
By myers503
#347833 So I put a MagnaFlow straight through muffler on and it's low note is great but I also get that annoying fart sound. I feel fast and furious. So we are going to put a glass pack in line to see if it helps :thumb:
By gaige23
#347849 I almost always use twin loops in my setup, usually OBX.
By CNeto
#352827 MAGNAFLOW is very good for our honda´s 8)
By EconoBox
#352836 All of the advice so far has been great all of those brands work great. Magnaflow, Vibrant, and Apexi (The WS2 muffler) all sound great especially with a resonator installed. The resonator helps eliminate the drone in the cabin as well as the raspy sound.

Here is a great place that sells them all as well as a ton of other options. They also sell full bolt in exhaust piping kits to save you some of the fab work or expense of having a shop weld up mandrel bent piping for you.
http://store.kteller.com/exhaust/p-10036.aspx?pid=10036&cid=10126

Magnaflow exhaust video, there is no other description of the exhaust but I would guess there is no resonator or its too small of one from the rasp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCMRV8dBuQ

Apex'i WS2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itWccSI6Mbo

Vibrant muffler, I don't see a resonator in the piping under the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gv26kT5-Jk

Whatever you end up doing post a video so we can hear how it sounds.
By EconoBox
#352837 I forgot... having owned a Yonaka exhaust on my sedan and hatch they are a great budget option especially if you have a friend or yourself with the ability to weld. The Yonaka sounds great and from personal experience and friends who have them they last about 2 years (in Florida conditions) before the guts of the muffler start rotting out and they slowly get louder. They hang low which is why I say being able to weld or knowing someone who can helps out. I installed mine with new rubber hangers from Honda and I removed the metal hanger pieces from the piping and welded them back on to raise the B pipe up so it wouldn't hit the ground over bumps. Out of the box they don't survive long on a lowered Civic.