A place to discuss politics, the economy, foreign policy and whatever else is wrong in the world.

Moderators: Chance, evil-G-nius

By teal_dx
DENVER - Voters passed Amendment 64, allowing for the legal, recreational use of marijuana, according to 9NEWS Political Analyst Floyd Ciruli.

Amendment 64 will allow adults over 21 to possess up to an ounce of marijuana. It also would allow people to grow as many as six marijuana plants in private, secure areas.

More than 300 Colorado doctors offered their names in support of Amendment 64. However, the state's chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics urged a "no" vote. Supporters say alcohol does far worse things than marijuana.

"We know that many Coloradans are ready to end the failed policy of marijuana prohibition," Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol spokesperson Betty Aldworth told 9NEWS in September. "We can create a system where marijuana is controlled. We will have an easier time keeping it out of the hands of children."

She cited a recent study by the Centers for Disease Control which suggests marijuana use among high-school students in Colorado dropped between 2009 and 2011 as evidence that medical-marijuana regulation is having an impact.

"In an unregulated, underground market there are no controls," Aldworth said.

Voters rejected Amendment 44 in 2006. That amendment would have legalized the possession of a small amount of marijuana, but did not include the regulatory framework that Amendment 64 possessed.

Buying stock in Nabisco and Hostess right now!!!
By d-mon
#319443 at last, a state that doesn't subsidize the mexican cartels.
By Flatland_EG
#319451 If the government was smart they'd legalize it and then tax the living sh*t out of it. Deficit problem solved. :D
By chrono404
#319453 Colorado may be the first, But only by hours, Its passed in Washington State as well. It will be legal here Jan 1st.

As long as the Federal Goverment doesn't mess with the states rights to much then other states should follow suite.

It does come with a few draw backs, As if your suspected of a DUI then can take you to a hospitol and have bloodwork done to test if you have more then 5ng/ml of active THC in your system. as well as if a federal agent arrests you then your joining to prison.

But its a step in the right direction.
By HeikDiesel
#319468 Worst idea ever. Makes me embarassed to call Colorado my home
By Apexracing
HeikDiesel wrote:Worst idea ever. Makes me embarassed to call Colorado my home

Yea terrible idea, Drugs of this kind should be banned, it cannot be properly controlled and i'm sure the big tobacco companies will monopolize it any ways and add poisoness chemicals to it just like cigarettes. And make it highly addictive. They i would have to worry about second hand smoke from that. To be honest cigarettes should be banned too. Then you have to take into account all of the dui's that could result from this.
By teal_dx
#319506 They have already been made illegal, what would be the next step? There's no way to ever ban pot. Americans love their drugs. Even if it were banned, there's always our neighbors to the north & south for access.

It makes me worried for the next generation. I don't smoke but can you imagine bored kids trying it just because it's available? It IS the gateway drug. I don't know all the specifics of the law but they should at least put a 21 yr old age minimum on it to keep it away from minors and people who aren't old enough to make responsible decisions. If someone wants to sit at home and smoke responsibly, grow a couple of their own plants, so be it. But we don't need a bunch of stoned minors behind the wheel, putting other people at risk. And yeah this will breathe new life into the tobacco industry since smoking is becoming more banned in public places and taxes on their products continue to increase.

The ONLY positive things I can see about this are less taxes paying for people in over crowded prisons due to being caught with small amounts of pot. And the second is less violence from the Mexican cartels if weed is available on this side of the border. But I think they will just start moving the next drug (coke?) and violence & money will continue to flow.
How long before the federal gov finds a way to shut this plan down anyways? They must be pissed :lol:

For what it's worth, I find it interesting that a couple of states are trying it. We should use these as a case study and pay attention to the results. Short term will be the 2 benefits I mentioned above but the long term will be interesting and maybe scary for our future.... :???:
By Apexracing
teal_dx wrote:It makes me worried for the next generation. I don't smoke but can you imagine bored kids trying it just because it's available? It IS the gateway drug. I don't know all the specifics of the law but they should at least put a 21 yr old age minimum on it to keep it away from minors and people who aren't old enough to make responsible decisions. If someone wants to sit at home and smoke responsibly, grow a couple of their own plants, so be it. But we don't need a bunch of stoned minors behind the wheel, putting other people at risk. And yeah this will breathe new life into the tobacco industry since smoking is becoming more banned in public places and taxes on their products continue to increase.
The ONLY positive things I can see about this are less taxes paying for people in over crowded prisons due to being caught with small amounts of pot. And the second is less violence from the Mexican cartels if weed is available on this side of the border. But I think they will just start moving the next drug (coke?) and violence & money will continue to flow.
How long before the federal gov finds a way to shut this plan down anyways? They must be pissed :lol:
For what it's worth, I find it interesting that a couple of stated are trying it. We should use these as a case study and pay attention to the results. Short term will be the 2 benefits I mentioned above but the long term will be interesting and maybe scary for our future.... :???:

Yea some how i like that their are more "questionable" characters locked up for minor drug charges. Each offense they get they go away for a longer time. But if this is readily available every idiot will do it responsible or not, then their teenage kids could get into it and god knows what happens next. I just dont like the path were going down as a nation. Exploiting evil to make a buck is never a good answer.
By rustyrex
#319519 States can make it legal but under federal law it is still highly illegal. A local cop might not be able to arrest you but if you smoke weed by a federal officer you are fucked. The same thing is true with the pot pharmacies in California. The state of California made them legal but under federal statue they were breaking federal law, a lot of them. The only way pot will be completely legal is if congress passes a bill referred to bill 420. Which will never happen because no one can agree to the proper tax on weed. The bill has been on the books since Clinton was in office, his problem was growing it. It poses risks that the government doesn't not want to take and if they hire growers the lose control of a product that can me manipulates for potency. I have followed this bill for years, there is a 0% chance the government will ever make weed legal again.
By Chance
#319802 Fantastic!

and all you nay sayers... Alcohol is soooooooooooooooo much better offering the same endless benefits marijuana/Hemp could provide.
By Chance
#319803 and its NOT the gateway drug. This is what the gov't and gov't run media brainwash the masses with. They try to make everything out to smoking weed. "man eats homeless guys face" first they say bathsalts, others say weed and he had the munchies. "it just makes people tired and lazy" did you know there are 2 types of weed? Its legal in Amsterdam and other places do you think it has the same hype as it does here with it being illegal? NO.

This is one of the most amazing plants on the planet. and its illegal. whats even crazier is that non psychoactive plant HEMP is illegal.
By Chance
#319804 Watch "The Union: the business behind getting high." and do some research.

Also, you may not believe the health/medical benefits marijuana has until you see it first hand or until one of your family members resorts to the use of it to help there through an illness.

My Gpa went through Chemo. He lost 80lbs in a short amount of time. He could not eat and was constantly in pain. He's also an Avid/Active member of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints (mormon) so he was always against it and thought the only option would be to smoke it. That is until I filled him in on other possibilities. I ended up making him a few batches of THC lollipops. This helped him so much, I mean the change in just 1 week was astonishing. He and my gma were in Awe.

and its illegal. :thumbdown:
By nd1983
Flatland_EG wrote:If the government was smart they'd legalize it and then tax the living sh*t out of it. Deficit problem solved. :D

i said that to my wife the other day. Canada needs to legalize brothels and weed then tax the shit outta it. protect the people who are doing it legit and toss the people that are doing it illegally in jail or with a massive fine. if tobacco brings in around $14 billion last year in canada. if we could bring in twice that much with legalizing sex and weed. there would be no debt at all.

even better for you americans it could pay for obama care and no outta your pocket.
By teal_dx
Chance wrote:and its NOT the gateway drug. This is what the gov't and gov't run media brainwash the masses with.

I had friends in HS who started with weed and then got into LSD, coke and even trying some harder stuff. That was back in the 90's too... nowadays there's all kinds of pills in the mix. I don't know a lot of coke heads, but I'm not aware of anyone who says "i'm going to try coke" that has not previously smoked weed. There's a difference in smoking as a responsible adult vs a minor who is not capable of making mature decisions.