A place to discuss politics, the economy, foreign policy and whatever else is wrong in the world.

Moderators: Chance, evil-G-nius

By teal_dx
#319957 I was thinking last night... The government tried prohibition back in the day and it failed so they lifted the ban on alcohol. Now look at our economy because of it. We have bars, wineries, breweries, distributors, all the way down to drive-thrus, all employing people and sin tax from all alcohol sold. It is a staple in our economy & society.

Now it seems ridiculous to think that the gov. ever tried to ban alcohol back in the day, although at the time it was a serious issue. Years from now, it could be the same situation... "Remember when this was illegal? LOL!"
By HeikDiesel
#319974 I have a ton of input on this but I'm going to try and trim it down

-I've seen arguments that this would reduce teenager use. How? It's people of 21+ years of age, so there goes that theory.
-People compare pot to alcohol. I is by FAR easier to produce marijuana than it is alcohol. And even if you don't feel this is a valid point, continue reading.
-How are we going to tax this? If you are able to grow up to 6 plants on your own, and person to person transactions cannot be considered a "sale", who if anyone is going to pay a heavy tax on an item they can get or grow without that tax?
-Are we really serious that this money is to go to schools? lol. I can see it now. Cannabis Memorial Stadium, catchy.
-Federal law trumps the state. Nuff said
-And now we put millions of dollars of unregulated pot into homes and expect crime to remain down? Explain to me how that works?

These are my major concerns, but then again I'm sure we could debate this topic until the end of time. What really concerns me is that in order to be on the ballot there had to be government officials that thought this was a good idea :/
By Chance
#319979 Easy to grow or not do you really think MOST people would grow their own? I think alot would but there would be just as many that dont want to waste their time or energy. We live in a give it to me now society, which means they'd much rather pay for something rather than grow/build/create/make/brew something. PLUS even if everyone did grow their own, they still need to buy the supplies necessary to be successful at it, those supplies = taxed. It wont turn into everyone, their mother and brother growing pot. Thats silly.

How about growing one sq mile of hemp in the same place year after year after year never having to move or replenish the soil and make insane amounts of paper from just that small area. Rather than cutting down trees that take years/decades to grow back. Still boggles my mind that Hemp is illegal.

HeikDiesel wrote:-Are we really serious that this money is to go to schools? lol. I can see it now. Cannabis Memorial Stadium, catchy.

Whats the difference from whats happening now? Few examples...

Milwaukee Brewers.

Coors Field - Colorado Rockies.

and What about the Bud light Red zone in the NFL.

So delicious and nutritous.

HeikDiesel wrote: What really concerns me is that in order to be on the ballot there had to be government officials that thought this was a good idea :/

:facepalm:

I'm thankful there are actually SOME smart people in politics.
By JUICE
#319994 and for the record, GOOD indoor weed is very expensive to produce. Like said, most people wouldn't/won't bother.
By teal_dx
#320079 Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett has instructed his prosecutors to drop a handful of cases involving possession of less than an ounce of marijuana, as well as paraphernalia charges, for anyone over the age of 21.

The reason: the passage of Amendment 64, which has yet to be signed into law, but is expected to be inked soon.

Last week, prosecutors in Washington state made similar moves, dropping some 220 marijuana possession charges in the wake of the state's voters passing a legalization initiative in that state, as reported by Toke of the Town's Steve Elliott.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/20 ... ent_64.php
By Apexracing
Chance wrote:Easy to grow or not do you really think MOST people would grow their own? I think alot would but there would be just as many that dont want to waste their time or energy. We live in a give it to me now society, which means they'd much rather pay for something rather than grow/build/create/make/brew something. PLUS even if everyone did grow their own, they still need to buy the supplies necessary to be successful at it, those supplies = taxed. It wont turn into everyone, their mother and brother growing pot. Thats silly.

How about growing one sq mile of hemp in the same place year after year after year never having to move or replenish the soil and make insane amounts of paper from just that small area. Rather than cutting down trees that take years/decades to grow back. Still boggles my mind that Hemp is illegal.

HeikDiesel wrote:-Are we really serious that this money is to go to schools? lol. I can see it now. Cannabis Memorial Stadium, catchy.

Whats the difference from whats happening now? Few examples...

Milwaukee Brewers.

Coors Field - Colorado Rockies.

and What about the Bud light Red zone in the NFL.

So delicious and nutritous.

HeikDiesel wrote: What really concerns me is that in order to be on the ballot there had to be government officials that thought this was a good idea :/

Wrong is wrong, i'm sorry but i will never be convinced.
By HeikDiesel
Chance wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Colorado require 10% of registered voters to sign a petition to get the amendment started but it still can be overturned by the state prior to being put on the ballot?

Also these beer sponsored stadiums are PROFESSIONAL stadiums, ones that bring in millons of dollars in revenue. Are you really comparing that to stadiums built by pot for highschools? lol
By Chance
Apexracing wrote:Wrong is wrong, i'm sorry but i will never be convinced.

What is wrong about it? Who made it "wrong"... Have you ever taken ANY drug? Cough syrup, percocet, vicodin, oxycontin, xanax, Soma, Zoloft even just a TYLENOL?....drugs. Who made taking those "right"? They really have people brain washed as to what is "right" and what is "wrong". Sad.
By Chance
HeikDiesel wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Colorado require 10% of registered voters to sign a petition to get the amendment started but it still can be overturned by the state prior to being put on the ballot?

Also these beer sponsored stadiums are PROFESSIONAL stadiums, ones that bring in millons of dollars in revenue. Are you really comparing that to stadiums built by pot for highschools? lol

By Apexracing
Chance wrote:
Apexracing wrote:Wrong is wrong, i'm sorry but i will never be convinced.

What is wrong about it? Who made it "wrong"... Have you ever taken ANY drug? Cough syrup, percocet, vicodin, oxycontin, xanax, Soma, Zoloft even just a TYLENOL?....drugs. Who made taking those "right"? They really have people brain washed as to what is "right" and what is "wrong". Sad.

Im not brainwashed so dont insult me. Its wrong because it specifically leads to other responsible behaviors ive seen it first hand all through school. People killing them selves by smoking then getting behind the wheel. People just getting by because they are too high to pay attention in class. And when did i say im pro medication. My views are quite the opposite. Only a pot head is going to make the arguement that weed isnt a gateway drug. When its been proven just the same as alcohol. Tylenol doesnt effect your ability to drive, opperate machinery. And it doesnt infringe on other peoples rights to have clean air to breath. Legalizing it would be condoing our up coming generations to casually get high, possibly avoiding real issues in their lifes. I can go on and on. But i grew up with this all through school and im in no way "brain washed". Its one of my core belifes. And your telling me you can be a responsible parent and smoke weed around your children? Where do you draw the line chance.
By HeikDiesel
Chance wrote:
HeikDiesel wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Colorado require 10% of registered voters to sign a petition to get the amendment started but it still can be overturned by the state prior to being put on the ballot?

Once again your facepalm doesn't do anything for this discussion.
By chrono404
Apexracing wrote:Only a pot head is going to make the arguement that weed isnt a gateway drug.

I would argue that Weed is the gateway drug people say it is. Why do I say that? Its becouse everyone I know drank beer or smoked cirgerettes long before getting into marajania.

The Reason people dont claim cigerettes or beer as gateway drugs as they are legal.As stated before, every single person I know that has smoked pot has either smoked cigerettes or drank beer well before.

Apexracing wrote:Its one of my core belifes. And your telling me you can be a responsible parent and smoke weed around your children? Where do you draw the line chance

A responsible parent will not smoke anything around their child. Thankfully there are edible's, thc extract, tinctures, etc. All of that will not get the smoke of marajania around their children.

As i have said before, I would rather have people smoking or eating cannabis then drinking alchohol and smoking cigerettes. Its much safer then both, while also having medical values.
By YoTsi
#320688 i think its sweet and of course they start legalizing when i moved out of the F@#king country xD i read somewhere on this thread somebody saying they could take you to a hospital to have blood work done to detect for a DUI? here in finland everytime you get pulled the cops make you blow in the machine for alcohol and then make you spit on a piece of paper before even taking your DL. and if that paper turns purple your screwed xD but they do it this way because they know it can be in your system for 2-3 weeks and only really care if you DUI. and since the cities here only have like 10,000-20,000 people per city the cops know everyone and everyone that smokes xD also this makes me have to drive like a ninja since they know to look for my car because i have unpaid taxes :hehe: but they are talking about legalizing here for medical use and amsterdam is soon changing its policies saying tourists wont be able to purchase anymore so if you have dreams of hitting the coffee shops you better do it now...and ive toked some fine bud in the USA and that stuff doesnt compare AT ALL to amsterdam ive never been so screwed off 1 joint in my entire life of smoking-12 years...and the joint was half tobacco xD
By Apexracing
chrono404 wrote:
Apexracing wrote:Only a pot head is going to make the arguement that weed isnt a gateway drug.

I would argue that Weed is the gateway drug people say it is. Why do I say that? Its becouse everyone I know drank beer or smoked cirgerettes long before getting into marajania.

The Reason people dont claim cigerettes or beer as gateway drugs as they are legal.As stated before, every single person I know that has smoked pot has either smoked cigerettes or drank beer well before.

Apexracing wrote:Its one of my core belifes. And your telling me you can be a responsible parent and smoke weed around your children? Where do you draw the line chance

A responsible parent will not smoke anything around their child. Thankfully there are edible's, thc extract, tinctures, etc. All of that will not get the smoke of marajania around their children.

As i have said before, I would rather have people smoking or eating cannabis then drinking alchohol and smoking cigerettes. Its much safer then both, while also having medical values.

But people that smoke marijuana, and i've met quite a few are just as careless with that as they are tobacco. And who is to say that big tobacco wont get ahold of it once its legal. Then you will have marijuana laced with all the dangerous chemicals that tobacco is. I guess it being a gateway drug is on a case by case, but its proven it leads to harder drug use in most cases. Were not talking alcohol or tobacco, but coke, and heroin ect.