A place to discuss politics, the economy, foreign policy and whatever else is wrong in the world.

Moderators: Chance, evil-G-nius

By familyEGuy23
#319843 Honestly it all depends on the person. A buddy of mine would never want a drop of alcohol but would smoke weed. There's two types of marijuana indica and sativa research it. I look at it more as an herb than a drug. I live in California i see this everyday, yeah it has it's pros and cons but what doesn't ever since they made medical MJ legal it's got drug dealers in the streets off their ass and actually having to work to earn their money. It's something like the Prohibiton Era.
By Chance
teal_dx wrote:I had friends in HS who started with weed and then got into LSD, coke and even trying some harder stuff. That was back in the 90's too... nowadays there's all kinds of pills in the mix. I don't know a lot of coke heads, but I'm not aware of anyone who says "i'm going to try coke" that has not previously smoked weed. There's a difference in smoking as a responsible adult vs a minor who is not capable of making mature decisions.

If Marijuana was not around weak ass people would still end up doing those other drugs. Marijuana didn't lead them down that path being an idiot and, I'll say it again, being a weak ass did. I've known people that went that same route you're describing happening to friends from HS. I'd be most of them, the same as my best friend growing up, hung out with the wrong people and ended up smoking weed laced with other drugs. is that weeds fault? no.

How about all the other WAY more terrible and accessible LEGAL drugs... Prescriptions, alcohol, ciggarettes. What about SUGAR and Caffeine! Those are way more harmful and addicting than marijuana.

To me, this is an argument that is just as silly as saying "Guns kill people". No the person using it did. Marijuana didnt make them do other drugs, the weak ass person thats using it did.

Let me ask anyone that disagrees with it being legal or opposes it in general. Have you even smoked weed? Or had an edible? If so did the little marijuana devil pop up on your shoulder whispering what drug to try next? and if you haven't even used marijuana, how can you truely have a educated opinion on it?
By Chance
A regulated, legal market in marijuana would reduce marijuana sales and use among teenagers, as well as reduce their exposure to other drugs in the illegal market. The illegality of marijuana makes it more valuable than if it were legal, providing opportunities for teenagers to make easy money selling it to their friends. If the excessive profits for marijuana sales were ended through legalization there would be less incentive for teens to sell it to one another. Teenage use of alcohol and tobacco remain serious public health problems even though those drugs are legal for adults, however, the availability of alcohol and tobacco is not made even more widespread by providing kids with economic incentives to sell either one to their friends and peers.
By Chance
Legalized marijuana would reduce the flow of money from the American economy to international criminal gangs. Marijuana's illegality makes foreign cultivation and smuggling to the United States extremely profitable, sending billions of dollars overseas in an underground economy while diverting funds from productive economic development.
By Chance
Marijuana's legalization would simplify the development of hemp as a valuable and diverse agricultural crop in the United States, including its development as a new bio-fuel to reduce carbon emissions. Canada and European countries have managed to support legal hemp cultivation without legalizing marijuana, but in the United States opposition to legal marijuana remains the biggest obstacle to development of industrial hemp as a valuable agricultural commodity. As US energy policy continues to embrace and promote the development of bio-fuels as an alternative to oil dependency and a way to reduce carbon emissions, it is all the more important to develop industrial hemp as a bio-fuel source - especially since use of hemp stalks as a fuel source will not increase demand and prices for food, such as corn. Legalization of marijuana will greatly simplify the regulatory burden on prospective hemp cultivation in the United States.
By Chance
Marijuana is too expensive for our justice system and should instead be taxed to support beneficial government programs. Law enforcement has more important responsibilities than arresting 750,000 individuals a year for marijuana possession, especially given the additional justice costs of disposing of each of these cases. Marijuana arrests make justice more expensive and less efficient in the United States, wasting jail space, clogging up court systems, and diverting time of police, attorneys, judges, and corrections officials away from violent crime, the sexual abuse of children, and terrorism. Furthermore, taxation of marijuana can provide needed and generous funding of many important criminal justice and social programs.
By Chance
#319863 Look up Tommy Chongs story about his fight with Prostate cancer, using cannibis oil and having a good diet. The pros out way the very very few minor cons by a land slide.
By teal_dx
#319868 I'm not doubting it's healing capabilities, its creating of cartel violence in Mexico, or the fact that it's costing the US way too much to keep it illegal.
What I'm saying is that if it becomes legal, there will be young people more likely to try it, simply because it is available.

I'm in to see the long term effects of this legislation :popcorn: If the US Govt lets it last :eh:

If they are going to make it legal in states, then the US Govt might as well start using it for the good benefits. But do you really think that Obama is going to be the guy to let that happen during his term as president?
Now if Bill were still pres... [smilie=drunken_smilie.gif]
By Chance
#319869 lol Oh bill.

You dont think its UBER readily available right now for young teens? True story: I was a 14yr old niave white mormon boy from Idaho moved to Arizona. I decided one day I wanted to buy a dime sack on my own terms, I didnt have a shady friend hiding his face in a hoody pressuring me. I went down the the local skate park asked ONE person and boom $10 later had a sack. I didnt end up smoking it frankly I dont remember what even happened to it I think it was stashed away and forgotten about. Legalizing it wont make it more accessible for teens. If anything it will take that power away from the other teen that had the sack to sell.

Look at other countries that have legalized marijuana and other drugs for that matter. Good things happened.
By FG2_Andrew
#319871 As long it's regulated appropriately I don't an issue BUT only if people abide by the rules and regulations set before them.

But I'm sure people will still continue to bitch and complain.
By Apexracing
Chance wrote:lol Oh bill.

You dont think its UBER readily available right now for young teens? True story: I was a 14yr old niave white mormon boy from Idaho moved to Arizona. I decided one day I wanted to buy a dime sack on my own terms, I didnt have a shady friend hiding his face in a hoody pressuring me. I went down the the local skate park asked ONE person and boom $10 later had a sack. I didnt end up smoking it frankly I dont remember what even happened to it I think it was stashed away and forgotten about. Legalizing it wont make it more accessible for teens. If anything it will take that power away from the other teen that had the sack to sell.

Look at other countries that have legalized marijuana and other drugs for that matter. Good things happened.

You cant rant a rave about the abuse of other substances vs the use of pot. And the terminology every thing is good in moderation is crap. Even alcohol. Now you ask well do you enjoy alcohol? I do have a beer from time to time. Now would i support a bill proposing to ban it? Absolutely 100%. Its nice to enjoy it once and a while. But its negative effects on society far out weigh the positive. Same with any recreational drug, including tobacco.
By chrono404
#319946 A good note to think about when considering marajania is that during the Prohibition ageist alcohol, New York as a state legalised it, shortly after words the Federal Goverment ended the Prohibition. A Similar thing very possibly will happen here.

I would rather kids smoke weed, or eat weed cookies or whatever then be drinking alchohol. Too much alchohol will kill you, and I have seen it make messes alot of alot of peoples lifes. Weed will just give you the munchies and make you wanna sit down if you had to much.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need to worry about it, however Weed is safer then booz IMO. I much rather be in a sports field with high people then drunk people.
By familyEGuy23
Chance wrote:
If Marijuana was not around weak ass people would still end up doing those other drugs. Marijuana didn't lead them down that path being an idiot and, I'll say it again, being a weak ass did. I've known people that went that same route you're describing happening to friends from HS. I'd be most of them, the same as my best friend growing up, hung out with the wrong people and ended up smoking weed laced with other drugs. is that weeds fault? no.

How about all the other WAY more terrible and accessible LEGAL drugs... Prescriptions, alcohol, ciggarettes. What about SUGAR and Caffeine! Those are way more harmful and addicting than marijuana.

To me, this is an argument that is just as silly as saying "Guns kill people". No the person using it did. Marijuana didnt make them do other drugs, the weak ass person thats using it did.

Let me ask anyone that disagrees with it being legal or opposes it in general. Have you even smoked weed? Or had an edible? If so did the little marijuana devil pop up on your shoulder whispering what drug to try next? and if you haven't even used marijuana, how can you truely have a educated opinion on it?

2x
win
:thumb:
By familyEGuy23
#319950 First hand experience. Back in 08 i had to go to the hospital due to fever and uncontrollable vomiting (was late at night) , the doctor suspected it to be meningitis. He urged to act quickly and i signed some paperwork half conscious and they did spinal tap (they injected needle to my spine to take out spinal fluid) but the doctor ended up injuring me. I went back tried to take him to court but due to paperwork i signed it didn't hold him responsible :thumbdown:
i constantly had sharp pains in my back that could literally make me lay down on the floor. I went to my doctor and he said part of my nerves got damaged during the procedure and gave me a prescription for Vicodin, i hated it as much as the side effects. Soon it felt like the prescription wasn't working so they started to give me a higher dosage. I went to different doctors to get second opinions and one actually recommended for medicinal cannabis. I decided to do it got my medical card and went to a clinic, i've got to meet so many different types of people that battle cancer and aids, even some claimed to have helped with their depression.
The pain was gone and i didn't have the nasty side effects the vicodin gave me. It was much easier to go to school, sit through the class, and workout without having random burst of pain in my spine. Stopped months before my daughter was born around the beginning of 2010 and now i occasionally have pain in my back every now and then but i would never take prescription just because it's been labeled "legal and right" in our society. Don't judge me. :wink:
By Aldo91
#319951 I am currently 21, I smoke weed from time to time but a couple years ago I used to smoke it like there was no tomorrow,but never did my friends or I even think about trying something harder, I am sorry to hear about your friends Teal, I hope they are doing better now. However I popped E pills before I even started smoking weed. I am good and clean now but I disagree that weed is a gate way drug. If anything alcohol hinders you more than marijuana at least in my opinion, just like people know their beers and liquor there is strains of marijuana and the effects they have on people. I know I may seem like im just a kid talking and running my mouth but just my 2 cents