B16, B18, B20
By boomdiggity86
#355630 What's up everybody! I'm trying to figure which way to go with my motor! Right now I have a b18b with just a t3/t4 turbo 750 injectors, s300 hondata on a p28. I'm pushing like 230 whp now. Now I want more horse power. I'm hoping for around 400. I've looked around like King motorsports and there set ups but that's a good chunk of change with having to send a core. Would it be cheaper to try and work with my tuner shop and just work my b18b more or should I try to find a gsr and go from there!!
By Driv-it-hard
#355641 Boom,
May I ask how much psi on the turbo your running for that 230 whp ?
How strong is your motor? Meaning , have you done any work to it? How long have you had it on boost? When you got the motor, did you tear it down and inspect anything before boost ?
Give us some in site on your motor. Also, DD or weekend driver ?
Thanks.
By iLLson
#355645 sounds like the tune is very conservative

ive seen stock block/head turbo ls's hit 300 easily.

post a detailed list of parts that your turbo kit consist of, and what supporting modifications you have done.
By Driv-it-hard
iLLson wrote:sounds like the tune is very conservative

ive seen stock block/head turbo ls's hit 300 easily.

post a detailed list of parts that your turbo kit consist of, and what supporting modifications you have done.

Me too.
By boomdiggity86
#355672 Well I just recently put the b18b in. Right now I'm running 9 lbs of boost but the motor is stock. I had a b18a1 but ended spinning a bearing on the crank so I just swapped the jdm b18b. I can tell the head gasket is starting to go but I'm hoping it last till winter cause it won't be doing shit in the snow. I would like it to be a dd. But if I do the head gasket I was gonna start upgrading the internals!
By boomdiggity86
#355718 I know 9 lbs isn't shit but with a completely stock motor I didn't wanna push my luck! Ive had the car not even a year and driven it maybe 3 to 4 months the rest of the time it's bein in the shop! But beside the fact! My set up is a ram horn turbo header, no name t3/t4 turbo, tail waste gate, and 3 1/2 open pipe from turbo back. I have an aem wide band air/fuel. But my biggest thing is would it be cheaper to just run with the b18b or should I start looking for a gsr long block. The motor now seems pretty strong. All bearings and all were checked out before I swapped the motor in.
By iLLson
boomdiggity86 wrote:I can tell the head gasket is starting to go

boomdiggity86 wrote: The motor now seems pretty strong

which one is it??

hg are simple to do on these motors.

if you have a good motor now, then of course it will be more costly to switch it to a gsr.

im assuming that IF you do switch it to a gsr, it would probably not be a rebuilt one. That means you will have to rebuild the gsr until you are certain that it is in good running condition.

if i was in your position, i would just keep the ls, do the hg and while your at it, use some arp hardware, get a fuel pump, get a nice IM, and port match the tb, and have it retuned.

saying a t3/t4 doesnt tell us anything also

what size is this turbo?
when are you building boost?

hp doesnt really mean much. its all about driveability .
i would choose a nice peppy car over a high hp car.
building full boost @ 3k is way more fun then a high # car that hit full boost @ 6k.

that is unless its a dedicated track car
By boomdiggity86
#355731 The main reason for this post is would it be reasonable to build this motor to 375 or 400 hp or should I find a gsr then build it up? Right now with the b18b I start building boost around 3 3500. I have a 255 war. In the tank. The motor now is bone stock besides the injectors which are 750's. I'm just trying to get an idea for a 375 to 400hp motor that's would be reliable for a dd
By HeikDiesel
#355741 I think 400whp is reasonable for a boosted LS. I think at that power goal I would set up the fuel system to run e-85 and at least run a good forged piston and an eagle rod. Beyond that you just need a decent turbo, ball bearing and stay away from precision if possible. That's my .02
By iLLson
#355766 get a vtec head.
call it a day.

78mm turbo is massive.
shouldnt be building full boost at 3.5k

ls should easily be hitting 300 stock block

find a new tuner