B16, B18, B20
By Jcampa19
#351899 I decided on the B18C GSR going to JDM corp this coming Friday to haul an engine home with me. ill have about an extra grand to spend on bolt-ons.

To fit my budget, what do you guys recommend? I have a fresh AEM intake, but I'm wanting some headers and exhaust.. Maybe just replace the whole exhaust system.

I also am interested in new throttle body and manifold. Any websites or recommendations?

With the P72 ECU, will I need to tune the engine if I can't get to the bolt ons right away?

I'm still a noob. Break it down for me fellas.
By TrailerTrash
#351900 ive thought about how i would go about a GSR setup many times so i can tell you what i would do. but its just me ya know im no expert

1 - a quality clutch/pp/and lightweight flywheel setup
2 - quality aftermarket motor mounts. i have Innovatives in my coupe(D series) and i absolutely love them. so that is the company i would buy from
3 - either a nice name brand short shifter or make my own(assuming im starting with a stock car)
4 - id consider an aftermarket intake manifold and throttle body but only if i was to pair it with a quality full exhaust setup and get it tuned properly to actually take advantage of them.

again this is the path i would take. i know that when i did the aftermarket clutch/light flywheel and the Innovatives in my coupe it was like a whole new car.

food for thought
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
By Jcampa19
TrailerTrash wrote:ive thought about how i would go about a GSR setup many times so i can tell you what i would do. but its just me ya know im no expert

1 - a quality clutch/pp/and lightweight flywheel setup
2 - quality aftermarket motor mounts. i have Innovatives in my coupe(D series) and i absolutely love them. so that is the company i would buy from
3 - either a nice name brand short shifter or make my own(assuming im starting with a stock car)
4 - id consider an aftermarket intake manifold and throttle body but only if i was to pair it with a quality full exhaust setup and get it tuned properly to actually take advantage of them.

again this is the path i would take. i know that when i did the aftermarket clutch/light flywheel and the Innovatives in my coupe it was like a whole new car.

food for thought
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I already have b series in there right now with a GSR tranny. I'm thinking that I want to mess with the clutch and flywheel while I have it all out. I have a short shifter as well.

A good friend showed me a website JHPUSA.com that has pretty much everything. I will more than likely buy everything on that website. I was really looking for more specific answers like what brand names to go with.
By TrailerTrash
#351909 what exact parts are you looking for brand recommendations on?
By Jcampa19
TrailerTrash wrote:what exact parts are you looking for brand recommendations on?

Right now I want good recomendations on the throttle body, headers, manifold and a good exhaust.
By Leppy
Jcampa19 wrote:Right now I want good recomendations on the throttle body, headers, manifold and a good exhaust.

I've had a JDM B18C GSR engine and tranny in my sedan for over 4 years. My honest, experienced answer is to just keep the GSR's intake manifold and throttle body stock.

Build you a 2.5 inch exhaust to suit your tastes for looks and sound, and get a DC Sports 2 piece 4-2-1 header (I think it's the 6006 model, with the O2 flange) and call it a day.

I've got a Skunk2 manifold and throttle body and it's been a nightmare to keep the throttle body tuned. The manifold is ok, but you NEED an ECU tune to get rid of the butterfly valves. The throttle body is nowhere near the quality of OEM, and I wish I'd have stuck with that.

Having it factory, and having it tuned, there is a power difference. They both were just as fun though. OE-spec was more reliable.

Tuning the ECU is always a good idea, but with bolt-ons I was still making great power and getting over 30 MPG with a factory tune.
By Jcampa19
Leppy wrote:
Jcampa19 wrote:Right now I want good recomendations on the throttle body, headers, manifold and a good exhaust.

I've had a JDM B18C GSR engine and tranny in my sedan for over 4 years. My honest, experienced answer is to just keep the GSR's intake manifold and throttle body stock.

Build you a 2.5 inch exhaust to suit your tastes for looks and sound, and get a DC Sports 2 piece 4-2-1 header (I think it's the 6006 model, with the O2 flange) and call it a day.

I've got a Skunk2 manifold and throttle body and it's been a nightmare to keep the throttle body tuned. The manifold is ok, but you NEED an ECU tune to get rid of the butterfly valves. The throttle body is nowhere near the quality of OEM, and I wish I'd have stuck with that.

Having it factory, and having it tuned, there is a power difference. They both were just as fun though. OE-spec was more reliable.

Tuning the ECU is always a good idea, but with bolt-ons I was still making great power and getting over 30 MPG with a factory tune.

Sounds good then Ill keep it stock. I just did a last second change of mind to a B18C SIR-G. Picking up this Friday. I'll start off with the headers for sure. Thanks bud.
By Leppy
Jcampa19 wrote:Sounds good then Ill keep it stock. I just did a last second change of mind to a B18C SIR-G. Picking up this Friday. I'll start off with the headers for sure. Thanks bud.

No Problem. That's exactly where my B18C came from, a JDM Integra SIR-G. They are the GSR equivalent. You'll love it.
By Jcampa19
Leppy wrote:
Jcampa19 wrote:Sounds good then Ill keep it stock. I just did a last second change of mind to a B18C SIR-G. Picking up this Friday. I'll start off with the headers for sure. Thanks bud.

No Problem. That's exactly where my B18C came from, a JDM Integra SIR-G. They are the GSR equivalent. You'll love it.

I'm looking for specs all over the Internet and it seems dry few people have the SIR-G lol. all I can find is that it has a better compression and that something in the manifold kicks in sooner? What exactly do you know about this engine bro?
By Leppy
Jcampa19 wrote:I'm looking for specs all over the Internet and it seems dry few people have the SIR-G lol. all I can find is that it has a better compression and that something in the manifold kicks in sooner? What exactly do you know about this engine bro?

I don't know about subtle differences, but I know it has a GSR intake manifold on it, and everything US-spec GSR fits it. It sounded like a 3-stage VTEC engagement when I had it stock. Around 3k to 4k, it got aggressive, then around 5k to 6k, VTEC engaged and it really came alive.

My tranny does not have an LSD, but I've seen a few that came with it. Doesn't really need it for daily driving though.