B16, B18, B20
By suspendedHatch
#348548 That's not quite true. The gaps reduce efficiency but the air doesn't stop in front of the radiator and go all the way to the gap. Most of it still goes through the radiator just fine. It certainly wouldn't cause overheating.

Secondly, you're not overheating. You're freaking out because you haven't had a temp gauge very long. If you were overheating, your OEM gauge would go up. Your overflow tank would have bubbles shooting out of it.

The fan doesn't come on at 180, it comes on at 203 F. The thermostat is fully open at 195. 200 is operating temperature. The OEM gauge is dampened so it never moves unless there is a serious problem. The manufacturer knows that if the gauge moved a lot, people would freak out as you are now. They don't even trust us with an accurate fuel gauge! (the halfway mark is actually 3/4 of the tank)

A real gauge will show that the temperature rises and falls. This is normal. When the car is moving, air is being forced through the radiator. When you stop at a light, you begin to heat soak until the fan comes on. Any time you put heavy load on the motor, the temperature will go up, and it will drop back down again when you're cruising.

It's been a long time since I had a temp gauge but I know that 200 ish is normal. Your oil temp is also 200 ish. Don't freak.
By TurboEGhatch
#348574 ok well good news !!! i believe i have the issue fixed, about 4 dollars in materials from the dollar store. It looks horrible and i plan on getting something fabricated to be permanent but this is what i did for testing purposes. After driving in 90 degree weather for about 15-20 mins the temps barely got above 190. Even after getting on it a few times the temp got up to 195. After cruising around for another 15 minutes or so the temp never got about 199!

By baconsauce
#348579 Nice, gladly you got it work. looks like Alien wouldn't have any potentials to detects your b16 under the hood when you race with them. LOL
By TurboEGhatch
Deffyjeffy wrote:Nice, gladly you got it work. looks like Alien wouldn't have any potentials to detects your b16 under the hood when you race with them. LOL

Hahaha... Once i have a permanent solution fabricated i will post it. Thanks
By teal_dx
#348621 Good to hear! I've seen aftermarket shields that go between the core support & radiator, but yours looks like it would be almost air tight. I'm interested to see what you build for a permanent solution :thumb:

suspendedHatch- You're right. Most people younger than us probably haven't driven older vehicles (pre-1980's). I remember the first time I was driving someone's big block mopar in the city, I was getting nervous at stop lights because the temps would creep up a bit. In a civic, that would be cause for alarm, but it's perfectly normal in an older car.