B16, B18, B20
By Leppy
#346979 I need help with my B18b bottom, B16 head motor that's in my hatch. It was perfectly healthy up until today. I cranked it up and pulled it into the shop today to fix a bolt on my exhaust and it started fine. Jacked the car up on the drivers side and put a new bolt, and then started the car to check for exhaust leaks. It spun over just fine and cranked, but then it just stalled about 5 seconds later and wouldn't restart.

Started troubleshooting and determined that it does have spark, and it does have fuel. At first it spun over like it has compression, but acted like it wasn't getting enough spark even though after testing it, it was providing spark. Could smell fuel as well. Cranking for a while, letting it sit, and cranking again leads to a backfire, but still no start. Swapped out the coil, swapped plugs, checked all connectors, and still the same result. (even swapped out the ECU with a spare to test if it'll at least crank, but no go). There was fuel on the spark plugs, but even putting fresh dry plugs in, it still wouldn't fire.

Started a physical inspection, and found the cam gear bolt on the exhaust side was backed loose and was resting on the inside of the valve cover. After a wtf moment, I pulled the valve cover off and retorqued both cam gear bolts and did another visual/touch inspection of the cam shafts and springs, all which looked ok and everything was still timed right. Reinstalled the valve cover and tried to start with no luck, but now it just spins really fast like there isn't any compression? So I put a socket on the crank and spun the motor over by hand, and felt the compression fight back. The cam gears spin, and with the dizzy cap off, the rotor spins too.

I'm frustrated and my brain can't think of what's wrong. Any help is appreciated.
By foxgearshift
#347012 re check your timing again open up the whole thing not just the valve cover if its ok check your starter and see if its actually turn the fly wheel, i hope your timing did not jump of
By Leppy
#347047 For those not on the facebook page, I'll update what I found out.

The bolt holding the cam gear caused it to separate from the camshaft on the exhaust side, which shot the key out. The exhaust camshaft was as near as makes no difference 180*s out from the intake side.

Pulled the shafts out, reassembled and got it mechanically timed. It starts and idles, but wont rev. Haven't checked compression yet, but I'm pretty positive the valves are bent.

So It's time to rebuild the head, starting with a full disassemble.