B16, B18, B20
By jedrick
#346704 ok so i think im gonna go with a b series but which one? i have a 95 coupe with a d15b7 and i want to boost it down the road, if any of u remember i had said that i just wanted to take of fast , well things have changed and i wanna race (legally of course) so if im gonna boost which b engine would u recomend , keep in mind i wanna build a reliable engine the correct way , allright boys im all ears
By Leppy
#346705 My semi-educated opinion would be a non-VTEC B-series motor, like a LS B18 or B20.

If you want reliable, build at least the bottom end with forged internals, and boost it with a good tune. If you do that, you can throw more boost at it because it's lower compression and not have to worry about it as much and can still run pump gas.

High compression and VTEC systems can be boosted, but require a lot of proper tuning and I don't think you can add any higher than around 8 or 9 psi without it being a pure race application.

Hopefully some of the guys who've built boosted B-series motors will chime in, as my advice comes from seeing what others have done and hearing about what motors tend to throw rods through blocks.
By jedrick
#346708 I appreciate ur opinion, and will look into what u said about some engines throwing rods, I was thinking of using the b16a sir2 but I want to hear everyone opinion and see what comes up, maybe we can create a civic eg car? Wanna sponsor me ?. Lol I'll advertise if the community pays for the build, hmmmm there's an idea
By HeikDiesel
#346709 There's guys running 600+ on stock b18c1's with multiple race seasons. Do I feel that route is safe and what everyone should do? Not at all, but it is possible.

I feel your best bang for your buck is going to be a LS swap like mentioned. You can sometimes find them local for super cheap and are still able to make 300+ with a decent turbo kit and tune and that in my opinion would be tolerable for a weekend warrior/track car
By chris_barnes
#347030 Go with a GSR e engine, if you drop in a set of forged internals and ARPs you will be safe up to 500 hp, or even more. I guess that's enough :) (of course with a good tune).
By panic989
#347181 It depends on how much power you are looking to build. A stock gsr can handle 9 pound of boost safely. But you can do a to of stuff. It is a honda after all. Take a b18 bottom end and put a b20 head on it to go low compression for boost. ARP head studs, a walboro 255 fuel pump, a some injectors, and a good tune on hondata s300 can go a long way. if you go that route you can put down 350 easily.
By theforce
#347772 I'm also keen on knowing just how capable the stock B18b motor is...
I believe the head/intake on that engine is its biggest restricter but lets say with some decent cams, forged internals and a bit of head porting/polishing, fuel pump, injectors, lighter Flywheel and a decent exhaust, who this be somewhat of a reliable and punchy engine that could perhaps also be boosted down the track?
By panic989
#347775 I had a JDM gsr in my hatch and that thing was really punch as is. Stock internals and head on it with an L's tranny on it for the longer gears. Also for the longest time I couldn't figure out why my VTEC was engaging and even without that it was a really fun car to drive. I do know that on stock internal and head you could boost up to 12 pounds sagely and put down between 300-350 HP. But if you want to go really big do all the internals and put a b20 head on it for low compression then use a t3/t4 turbo. Potentially 450-500 to the wheels. But don't forget to upgrade your suspension and breaking abilities as well as most people don't even think about that when getting into powerful builds until the very end and realize they can't stop. Lol. Good luck though with your build. Keep us all posted on it.