B16, B18, B20
By myers503
#346111 Hey everyone,

swapped a b18b1 into my 94 eg sedan over the weekend and things seem to be okay, untill I get on it.

I checked my crank and timing gear timing and it seems okay, does nto seem to be off by a tooth or anyhing. I also have both an LS p74 and my stock ecu, i mention this because they behave differently.

my p74 is chipped, had the chip reprogrammed to ls stock, minus rev limiter and removed 02.

when i get on it, at hit 4200-4800 rpm, my civic almost cuts out, like boggsa heavily.

Checked my plugs and replaced for good measure. played with iginition timing and little/no change.

now if I install d15 ecu, i get code for 02 sensor (duh missing). but i can it like a mad man.'

any thought or ideas?? I am happy to say the swap went otherwise smooth (3 starters later ) :)

Thanks
By CopyLifted
#346125 CEL on? If so, what codes? What year is the b18b1? OBD1 or 2?

If it was a straight OBD1 swap, then I would look into the chipped ECU. Could be bad soldering (cold solder joint) of the socket/resistors or a bad map/flash. If you could borrow an OBD1 P75-A01 from someone to test, that would be the way to go. You'd quickly know if it was the ECU causing the problem. Of course you'd have to install your o2 sensor though.

Also, check your 3 main grounds and make sure they are clean and tight. Valve cover/tranny/thermostat housing grounds.

Could be bad wiring somewhere.

If you swapped an OBD2 motor in, then there could be other areas to look as well.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
By Driv-it-hard
#346132 Question , after you hit the 4500 rpm and it starts to bog, if you turn the car off and then on , does it go away ?
Let me know.
By myers503
#346140 Think I figured it out. I have what is supposed to be an ls ecu. It had been chipped previously. I had it re chipped for my ls. However I was not aware the vtec was part of the board now, and not just in the chip.

So I made a ballsy move and rather than remove all of components for vtec, I removed the j1 socketed peice which I understand that it would reset the ecu to stock program, ignoring my chip and the vtec.

And it worked!! Thanks for the help
By CopyLifted
myers503 wrote:Think I figured it out. I have what is supposed to be an ls ecu. It had been chipped previously. I had it re chipped for my ls. However I was not aware the vtec was part of the board now, and not just in the chip.

So I made a ballsy move and rather than remove all of components for vtec, I removed the j1 socketed peice which I understand that it would reset the ecu to stock program, ignoring my chip and the vtec.

And it worked!! Thanks for the help

Good job man! Yeah, the p74/75, p06 non vtec ecu's need a little extra "hardware" to convert them to vtec. Glad you realized that it was added and rectified it.

At least I was on the right track lol. 8)
By myers503
#346159 For giggles I'm going to chip my p06 in a few weeks