B16, B18, B20

hone or bore

17%
83%
By blk92hb
#343382 So im going to be looking at a gsr block today. The guy told me it has some scratches on the cylinder 3 wall, and could get away with just a hone. My question is if I can get away with just a hone should I hone it or bore it. My plan is to put 11.1 compression pistons in it and dont know what I should do.
By blk92hb
teal_dx wrote:Really hard to guess without seeing the block in person. If it has really high miles and you're planning on a high hp build, might as well bore.

Im not really looking for high hp because it will be a dd. I did get the block whatever scoring the guy was talking about I didn't even see. What I did see was the honing marks that was still there so I might just get it hone and save some money.
By PirateEG
#343915 Did you get it honed already?
You could also do it yourself, buy the correct sized honer online and hook it up to a drill and carefully and evenly hone all the cylinders.

Another part to keep in mind, why was the car being sold? If the guy knew enough that the cylinder wall was "damaged" but didn't fit it there could be other issues. since you are going to get new pistons, there is no reason to not get the block squared and bored to match the pistons. dd or not.
just my 2 cents.
By blk92hb
#344895 I didn't get it honed yet, im going to wait till I get the rest of my parts.
By bks84
#345202 Just take it to a Machine Shop, see what they say. If nothing in the cylinder grabs your fingernail, then youre probably safe just honing it...
By blk92hb
#345205 Yea im going to get it honed. I think that's all it needs, but I am going to have a machine shop look at it.

Who did your b20?
By bks84
#345234 Vee Village has done every engine I have built for myself or for others.