B16, B18, B20
By EG6_rugby
#343256 im stuck. My new timing belt is to tight and i can not get the adjustment bolt to loosen, am i missing something? please help
By teal_dx
#343265 You're sure it's the correct belt? Are you running a mini-me head/block combo?
You can count the teeth on your old and new belt to be sure it's the right one.

Edit, nevermind I just noticed it was posted in B series, so not a mini-me issue.
By cleanb18eg
#343266 Are you talking about the tensioner bolt? Should come loose fairly easy as they are only torqued to ~ 40 ft/lbs. If your having trouble spray a little anti-seize but try not to get any on the belt.
By EG6_rugby
teal_dx wrote:You're sure it's the correct belt? Are you running a mini-me head/block combo?
You can count the teeth on your old and new belt to be sure it's the right one.

Edit, nevermind I just noticed it was posted in B series, so not a mini-me issue.

:thumb: no worries thanks for replying.

I did the anti seize but no joy and im in the middle of a move so whole project just got put on hold. thanks for the input
By PirateEG
#343916 I did the belt on my b16 this past summer. I believe I had minor issues with that bolt as well. What can help a bolt that is stuck like that, besides some sort of liquid wrench/anti-sieze, is "bouncing the bolt". What I mean is, repeated pressure to loosening the bolt. Don't just pry as hard as you can; apply pressure, let off, apply pressure, let off, etc.
That helped me, specifically with the crank bolt. I was prying and prying, and bent the extension pipe i was using; I gave up for a while, but once I "bounced the bolt" it finally broke loose.

hope this helps.
By EG6_rugby
PirateEG wrote:I did the belt on my b16 this past summer. I believe I had minor issues with that bolt as well. What can help a bolt that is stuck like that, besides some sort of liquid wrench/anti-sieze, is "bouncing the bolt". What I mean is, repeated pressure to loosening the bolt. Don't just pry as hard as you can; apply pressure, let off, apply pressure, let off, etc.
That helped me, specifically with the crank bolt. I was prying and prying, and bent the extension pipe i was using; I gave up for a while, but once I "bounced the bolt" it finally broke loose.

hope this helps.

I will give that a try. Thanks.... Move is all finished in to my new house. getting my new garage in order The hatch will look like a micro-machine in the garage. garage is huge almost 900 sq ft.
By brandoff88
#344468 what I usually do is take a rubber mallet and hold the ratchet tight, and give it a few mid power whacks to start breaking it loose, try to ratchet it, if not give a few more good whacks, keep repeating until it comes loose enough to use your ratchet, sometimes also wd-40 penetrant not the regular stuff, can help as well