B16, B18, B20
By Boosted-B18
#342783 wondering if you all could point me in the right direction...one day at work I was leaving, went to start the car....it just kept turning over, so after a few tries and pumping the gas I finally got it going, drove fine...

A few days later I was coming through my neighborhood and got into boost pretty hard in second gear, the car kinda hesitated when it got deep into the power band...I let off and the car turned off....

Car started right back up but idled kinda funny for a second, So I gave it some gas and it smoothed out, got it to the gas station about 1/4 mile from my house...it died again.

This time it took quite awhile to get it started, finally limped home with the car sputtering, and the rpm's jumping all over the place..so here I am now, The car will start...idles kinda choppy when it's cold, after a few minutes it's fine....it'll drive for 10-15 minutes or less and then starts the dieing shit again...I have to let it sit for 20 minutes or so after that to get it started. Hell sometimes it'll start right back up, but I have to turn the ignition all the way off, take the key out and stick it back in to get it to start, then it just starts and dies after 30 seconds or so..anyways after the 20 minutes I let it sit it'll start and drive again fine for a bit and dies, If i start the car and let it sit outside in the parking lot idling, after 15 minutes or so the car will just turn off...sometimes the interior light on the roof will flicker as well when the car dies, but I think the sensor on the door is messing up

Fuel pump comes on, the relay clicks...I have fuel pressure on my guage, spark plugs look fine...any clues to what it could be?!?! any things I can check or test to figure out the problem and fix it??

Also when I do get the car driving and I get into boost...it's def not getting enough power...feels like the 300 horsepower dropped to 150 horse power

THANKS GUYS!
By teal_dx
#342793 Can you tell us your entire setup? Is it properly tuned? Does it throw a check engine light?

When it isn't starting, is it getting spark? When was the last time a basic tune-up was done - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter etc...?
By Leppy
#342795 You know, I've had similar issues in my sedan multiple times, and EVERY TIME it was the distributor's fault.

Last time it happened to me, I swapped the distributor to my hatch and the problems transferred to that car.

So I would start there.

Things to look for are bad cap and rotor, bad coil, or loose connectors on the ignitor.
By Boosted-B18
#342797 Ill post the setup when im off work at 3...got a pic of my distributor cap, thats what I was thinking as well, how can I check it with a volt meter? And what all components in the distributor should I look at? Ill post the pic of the cap
By Boosted-B18
#342800 Image

Sorry theyre so large, im on my cell
By Leppy
#342801 I'd start by replacing that cap and rotor, and go from there. Those dark marks worry me
By Boosted-B18
#342803 Thanks guys, im gonna go grab a new cap now...ill hsve some bigger pocs of the old one when I'm done 8)
By suspendedHatch
#342805 The interior light thing is weird. Check alternator and battery cables? Check cable at the engine fuse box.
By Boosted-B18
#342835 not the dizzy cap...car's still dieing after awhile of idling, also drove it for a minute tonight to see if the cap fixed it...if i floor it, 3/4 way up the rpm's the car would just turn off
By Leppy
#342836 Coil would be my next guess, that's what went out on mine last time.
By Boosted-B18
#342861 replaced cap, rotor, ignition module, and fuel pump relay...still dieing, but now it does when i rev the engine
By Leppy
Boosted-B18 wrote:replaced cap, rotor, ignition module, and fuel pump relay...still dieing, but now it does when i rev the engine

Coil?
By Boosted-B18
#342864 Yeap, starting to think it's the ecu, about to test a friends spare in a few