B16, B18, B20
By Leppy
#340666 I have a seriously odd question, and I need some expert advice...

So I just picked up a hatch, and it's got an LS-VTEC build in it. The thing is, it feels... weird. I have a tuned GSR in my sedan and it's far superior in performance by a long shot. The hatch's motor is just disappointing and feels gutless by comparison.

So i'm wondering what I can do with it. It's a B18 bottom end with a rebuilt and blueprinted B16 head and what i'm told is a GSR geared transmission, but the clutch is cable and i think it's stamped Y1 so i'm not sure.

I've already got a fast B-series, so I don't need this one to be high performance. I'm wondering if there's a way I can detune it for MPG and drivability.

What are my options.. can I remove VTEC functionality on the B16 head and get an LS ECU?

Do I need to get an LS B18 head and ecu? Will the headers swap over if I do that?

I'm even pondering ripping the thing out and putting a D-series back in... Yes, it feels that weird that I would consider doing that.

Citizens of Civic-EG... help me brainstorm!
Last edited by Leppy on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Leppy
JUICE wrote:Something is definitely not right with it. If it was, it should be faster than the GSR sedan.

I thought that too...

I've been trying to read up on it all and now I'm wondering if the ECU isn't tuned worth a damn. There are no readable serial numbers on it, but I was told it was 'chipped' so I honestly have no clue.

I hate going behind someone on a build. The thing looks quality and the parts list is proper, but runs like a budget build.
By bietelboer
#340678 my first gues was the ECU, if it really is al budget build maybe the previous owner skipt it? How is the Compression?
By Leppy
bietelboer wrote:my first gues was the ECU, if it really is al budget build maybe the previous owner skipt it? How is the Compression?

I'm gonna look at the ECU soon, maybe pull the cover and see what's inside. I'm told its chipped, but I don't know for sure yet.

The engine takes a moment to spin over, but once it's warm it idles and runs great, it just doesn't even compare to how my GSR was stock and falls flat in the passed 5 or 6k mark. Only issue i know about minus that is a leak in the TB gasket which will be fixed soon. I'm probably gonna put parts from the hatch onto the sedan and start pulling components off and checking them.
By Leppy
ihavesol93 wrote:ls bottom end? b16/17/18 head? cams? timing on?

Looked at the ECU, it's got "Rich Tuning" stickers all over it, and it's a P28 that's been flashed.

It's a B18B1 bottom end, with a B16 head that's been rebuilt. Timing belt is perfect and in line.
By Leppy
ihavesol93 wrote:has that car ever been to idaho?

LOL I have no idea! I'm told it was boosted at one point before the LS-VTEC build was put in recently.
By ihavesol93
#340708 there is a company here called rich's auto care, that has been known to not be the best at tuning *hint *hint. :?
By Leppy
ihavesol93 wrote:there is a company here called rich's auto care, that has been known to not be the best at tuning *hint *hint. :?

Yeah, I'm gonna fix the little bugs in it like the TB gasket and some questionable wiring, then I'll look into finding a place to tune it, or get the shit to do it myself, since I have two cars with flashed P28's anyway.
By ihavesol93
#340710 high comp is a tougher one to tune than boost, but once you learned how to tune the high comp, you should just be about able to tune anything. lol
By Uknterror
#340727 Might as well throw a d series in it if you already considered it for mpg purpose. Like previously stated I'm more inclined to believe there is either the tune from the previous setup, a not so great tune or something of the sort. Check compression 1st just since its a quick and easy thing to do, if that checks out ok and the car does not make any funny noises/smokes etc then its most likely the ecu needs to looked at.
By cleanb18eg
#340895 First things first, check compression, make sure your getting enough fuel (check pump and injectors to make sure they are able to meet your mods), check spark, then last resort would be the ecu. I've had my share of fixing peoples mods and I find its easiest to start with checking compression, spark, and fuel first. Keep us updated.