B16, B18, B20
By invicta8926
#339249 I have a b18 in a 95 civic eg w/ transmission and my synchros are going out, I have never done transmission work before and am wondering should I attempt to put them in myself :? Also, where should I get synchros from and are carbon synchros worth the money? Thanks in advance :thumb: .
By teal_dx
#339258 Check out the transmission links in the DIY list: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1474
I made a DIY on how to rebuild mainshaft and countershaft in a D series transmission. B may be a little different, but it will give you an idea of what you're getting into. I was only able to find syncros at the dealership (6 years ago was when I rebuilt that tranny) and the only way to get them was to buy the whole gear set. $$$ :shock:
By invicta8926
#339260 Thanks Teal_dx Way more info than I was looking for but good stuff. Now you got me thinking.
By HeikDiesel
#339321 Usually more than just the "synchro" is bad when you make these types of repairs. If you have a helms manual they aren't that hard to take apart. Just make sure when you pull the stacks out you do it all at once and anything you take off make sure you lay them out on a table in that order and index which side is up. Trust me it does matter and can get confusing
By invicta8926
#339335 Thanks HeikDiesal, it looks confusing as crap. Don't think I'll take this on being that it's cold and I'd be outside.
By HeikDiesel
#339336 Honestly if it's an LS trans you probably can find a good used for what you would have into fixing yours.
By suspendedHatch
#339468 I wouldn't spend any extra for race quality parts.
MFactory makes and sells trans replacement parts. You'll have to take it apart first to see what you need unless you want to buy the whole master rebuild kit. That kit costs as much as a used trans, but you take a chance getting a bad trans if you go used.
When taking it apart, you can lock groups of parts together with long zip ties to make it easier to put back together.
My Integra GSR trans, ITR trans, and Civic VX trans ALL have shifting problems. 3rd gear on my roommates HX is fuckered. I'm determined to rebuild all of them myself.
By invicta8926
#339473 I'll tell you what I did as a temporary fix, I filled the tranny with 80-90 gear oil. Problem solved, shift a little thick at first (its cold) then everything is fine. I still plan on fixing the tranny though, thanks everyone.
By invicta8926
#339488 Thanks leppy. It shifts so smooth with the gear oil (after it warms up) I'm not even in a hurry to get it done right away.