B16, B18, B20
By reaperstk
#337718 Hey all, i have a question. Have a 2000 honda crv ex awd with a b20z high compression and im going to have to swap it out. Its been ticking for a very long time and i cant get it to go away. Now i know its not a civic and i didnt want to sign up on crv forum. Do you think it would be worth it to just get a cheap b20b in low compression. They seem to be cheaper than the b20z. All in all what kind of problem would i run into...would the low compression be able to handle the awd.
By JUICE
#337723 You could throw in a b20b, b20z or a b18b and I strongly doubt you would notice any difference between the 3. Any of those long blocks will work, let's say you find a obd1 LS, just gotta swap over components from your current motor (intake mani, dizzy, sensors, etc)
By reaperstk
#337725 Yeah thats what i plan on doing. I really just need the block since nothing else is really wrong with it. Just change whatever needs to be changed when taken out. Just wanted to make sure the low compression b20s wouldnt be a problem. Ive searched but havent found any1 who did the same thing im trying to do.
By JUICE
#337731 Where you getting just a block from? If you can still get B20 longblocks from most jap importers for about $550, that's the way to go for sure.
By reaperstk
#337735 Gonna see if local has any if not then online is best. Tiger japanese has them for 400 but ive heard bad reviews so still looking around. I just hoe i find one before this one takes a dump. Its losing alot of power for these past few months.
By bks84
#337823 why not pull the head and have it gone through? a lot cheaper than swapping a new engine in.
By noname87
#337957 the b20s are known to be noisy engines. my b20z crv has 148k on it and the valvetrain is noisy and everything is perfectly fine and in spec.
By reaperstk
#339125 Would rather swap the whole thing since the bottom ihas almost 200k. Do it once to get it over with.
By noname87
#339332 the b20's have solid lifters i found out, that's why it ticks. if valves are correctly adjusted in spec they will tick. it's once they go quiet that they start burning valves. you will notice the 20 hp difference between the b20b and the b20z. the jdm b20b from the 98-01 V's are the same engine as the b20z in power numbers
By bks84
#339372 They dont actually have lifters... but they're design is no different than an LS... in fact its exactly the same.
By Uknterror
#339437 They are called hydro lash adjusters that "run" off of oil pressure. High mileage engines you will notice that ticking noise even after adjusting valves. They can easily be replaced with a new set (if you're gonna take em out don't buy used or even low mileage ones). This is what they look like

By bks84
#339441 Where exactly are those in an LS/B20 head?