B16, B18, B20
By Squirrelman91
#337145 My cooling fan is not working I've replaced the fan switch and the thermostat all the fuses and relays are good I can jump the switch and the fan will work what would caues this??
By TrailerTrash
#337155 do you wait till the point of the engine getting hot enough? sometimes it can take quite awhile for the engine to get hot enough just idling.
By Squirrelman91
#337172 Yeah It gets hot enough to where theres steam in the over flow tank
By bks84
#337190 when you say fan switch you mean the one on the thermostat housing correct?
By HeikDiesel
#337195 Wait, you said in your first post that if you jumped it that it WOULD work? I'm confused
By Squirrelman91
#337197 If I unplug the fan switch on the thermostat housing and stick a paper clip in the connector the fan will turn on thats the only way it will turn on
By suspendedHatch
#337211 There is a coolant switch and a coolant sensor. The switch is under the distributor and only has one wire going to it. I believe you replaced the coolant sensor.
By bks84
#337219 suspendedhatch, youre completely wrong.

Theres a temp sending unit that controls the temp gauge. located under the distributor. one wire connector
Theres a ECT sensor that tells the ECU what the coolant temp is. located under the distributor. two wire connector.
and theres a fan switch. Located on the thermostat housing. also a two wire connector.

Maybe the ECT sensor is bad and the ECU thinks the engine is at normal temp and not telling the fans to kick on.

If you have a spare one, swap it out and see if it helps. I would suspect a code 6 to be thrown if the ECT sensor was in fact bad.
By suspendedHatch
bks84 wrote:suspendedhatch, youre completely wrong.

Not COMPLETELY wrong :lol: More like spitballing leads. Too lazy to refresh my memory with the Helms when the OP could do it themselves.

Thanks for correcting the info!
By bks84
#337257 I beg to differ, but sure!
By Squirrelman91
#337325 I replaced the ect sensor and it still won't come on
By bks84
#337328 Maybe try swapping relays out...

Or just wire it to a switch. or wire it to be on all the time.

I did a quick search for "steam out of overflow" and a lot of threads and answers so the headgasket is blown.
By Squirrelman91
#337329 The motor was rebuilt and only has 100 miles on it
By bks84
#337332 doesnt mean something wasnt done wrong along the way. maybe the deck or head arent straight.