B16, B18, B20
By theforce
#337126 Hey fellas, got a weird and annoying problem on a mate's DC (Vtec). Upon changing of the fuel pump to a standard new one, it won't turn on. The fuel pump primes and car cranks but no ignition.

Already done:
- tested new pump outside the car, it works so its not faulty.
- put old pump back in still not working.
- check ignition leads but NO SPARK.
- removed top fuel filter hose to check for fuel when cranking but no fuel reaches the filter.
- lifted fuel pump slightly when in the tank, attached a clear hose to the pump feed pipe and into a bucked, when key is turned to ignition fuel flows and continues flowing when cranking.
- tried a Main Relay from a DC (non-vtec) but still no joy.
- ecu reset.
- tested for ohm/V readings on the ICM/Ignition coil primary/secondary but values were off the scale...maybe a hint?

Findings so far:
- fuel is pumped but doesn't reach filter.
- meanwhile there is no spark.
- dash lights light up normal and no error codes are thrown.
- ignition switch was changed to a new genuine one few days earlier.
- Plugs/leads/distributor cap replaced not too long ago.
- alarm is not the problem.
- all fuses are ok.

Next step:
- get a new ICM and ignition coil
- maybe even a new Main Relay
- try another ecu? could it have given up the ghost?

I know buying parts without finding the problem is a no-no but we've narrowed it down to these culprits.

What I want to know is if fuel not reaching the fuel filter and no sparks are related issues or has the ICM/Ignition Coil just had it (not sure when/if changed).

Also worth noting is he disconnected the connector on top of the fuel pump when car running before changing the pump, apparently people on the net reckon its a good idea to :? Would that be enough to cause something to shit itself?

Interested to know what you guys reckon!
By suspendedHatch
#337133 I would recommend against your three courses of action. That would be throwing parts at it without confirmation, and neither of those is likely to be the problem in this situation.

ICM and coil can be tested with a $15 digital multimeter. You can then test whether power is reaching the fuel pump. Is the ground hooked up correctly?

Does it work if you put the original pump back in? What led you to replace the fuel pump in the first place? Maybe you misdiagnosed the fuel pump in the first place and your problem is something completely different.

It worked after you changed the ignition but before you changed the fuel pump, correct?

Can you feel/hear the main relay click when you put the key forward all the way?
By theforce
#337171 Like I said coil and ICM were tested but the number were off the scale and fluctuating, used two multi-meters and now it doesn't start with either fuel pump.

If the fuel pump primes and feeds fuel, isn't that confirmation that power is reaching the fuel pump and its properly grounded?

After ignition switch was replaced, all was working great, only after fuel pump was swapped, it wouldn't start.

Tried a different relay, it still wouldn't work.

Fuel pump was originally replaced as he had some intermittent loss of power randomly. So he winged it and changed the pump.
By suspendedHatch
#337210 Did you edit your thread?

If the pump is pushing fuel but that fuel doesn't make it to the fuel filter, that's your first problem. That line has to be blocked up for not connected right. It's been a while since I've been in there... isn't there a return line as well? Are you hooked up to the wrong line?
By PirateEG
#337379 ^^ yea,

if it is priming but NOT reaching the engine you have some sort of blockage or the hose to get fuel to the pump fell off somehow.

1. does it have gas... :?

2. a lot of fuel? this could be a test if the hose dropped off.

3. what is the condition of your fuel filter?
I had replaced mine and was so backed up fuel only trickled out when I unbolted it. with the new one, it sprayed out. oops. lol
By theforce
suspendedHatch wrote:Did you edit your thread?

If the pump is pushing fuel but that fuel doesn't make it to the fuel filter, that's your first problem. That line has to be blocked up for not connected right. It's been a while since I've been in there... isn't there a return line as well? Are you hooked up to the wrong line?

No the thread was not edited.

As suspected the problem turned out to be the ICM and ignition coil for the spark related issue. A new one of both solved that problem.

The fuel pump is impossible to hook up to the wrong line as the two hoses (feed and return) have different clamps and aren't long enough to be mixed up.

PirateEG wrote:^^ yea,

if it is priming but NOT reaching the engine you have some sort of blockage or the hose to get fuel to the pump fell off somehow.

1. does it have gas... :?

2. a lot of fuel? this could be a test if the hose dropped off.

3. what is the condition of your fuel filter?
I had replaced mine and was so backed up fuel only trickled out when I unbolted it. with the new one, it sprayed out. oops. lol

The fuel filter was only few weeks old. Apparently the pump was installed in the wrong orientation hence it wasn't pumping, it would pump when lifted a bit but not when inserted.

Car is running now!
By PirateEG
#337844 Glad to hear it!

So was the hose too long???

Try and trim it? or after reinserting it slide down the side?

No need to answer, just curious.

running :woot:
By theforce
#341048 Ooops...bit of a late reply but yeah the hose was the right lenght. Its just the orientation was wrong.