B16, B18, B20
Bykutthroatkrow
#334594 Its no secret I'm looking into a 5 speed swap, but I need to know what the best trans for the money is that will bolt to my b18. All help, along with maybe some pricing guides :wink:, is greatly appreciated
By suspendedHatch
#334927 Probably GSR for around $500. It's a big gamble then since it almost certainly has been abused.

LS, GS, RS are all the same.

You are aware of cable vs hydraulic I assume.

You used to be able to get a brand new ITR trans for around $1600. Worth it IMO.

The Del Sol B16b or EK Civic B16 are priced as high as the ITR, but likely abused and aren't actually as good as ITR even though the gearing is the same. The ITR LSD and internal strength is superior.
Bykutthroatkrow
#334933 Thanks! Yea my old mustang was a cable car. Hated it.
By Uknterror
#334943 A little more info on the transmissions in question as far as gearing goes. If you have a stock ls the best trans would be a b16 or itr as the ratios are very short and quickly carry the engine through the rpm range. An Ls transmission is better suited for someone who is trying to make a useful streetable turboed b18/b20 as 3rd gear is really long and the transition from 2-3 is rather long as well. Gsr is the best of both worlds in terms of price (if you dont have the 1600 to drop on a itr) even better if its an lsd trans. The gearing is great for any setup and it does have an absurdly high 5th gear like the b16 does.

I personally like the gsr, its not priced crazy high, its universal for any street car setup and if you wanted to you could swap some b16 internals to have your own desired ratios
Bykutthroatkrow
#334965 Honestly if its a longer winded trans I wouldn't care. I don't street race, I occasionally drive spirited in the canyons but not often.
By Uknterror
kutthroatkrow wrote:Honestly if its a longer winded trans I wouldn't care. I don't street race, I occasionally drive spirited in the canyons but not often.

Then a b16/itr isnt for you. In my opinion a gsr would be fine (for the 3rd gear pick-up). Its nothing crazy but your not dragging out 3rd as long.
By nd1983
#334992 if you want a good fuel mileage trans get a LS/GS trans
Bykutthroatkrow
#334993 I think imma go with a ls/gs s80. Thanks guys!
By chrono404
#335224 Slight late bump, however if you get a LS Trans, you can put in the Final drive from the CRV 5speed transmission and get gearing similar to the B16 transmission. :thumb: