B16, B18, B20
By cleanb18eg
#332386 My cel light seems to turn on randomly and I can't figure out why. Reason I am posting this is because I was told not to check the code with the car on. However, when I turn the car off, the light clears. It normally turns on after pushing my car over 6500 rpm in any gear. No difference in performance other than it limits my rpms at 6500 after the light turns on. Not sure if this makes sense but anyone else have this problem? Its a b18c gsr with a p72A01 ecu (obd1).

Would I be able to check the cel code with car on or was I fed a bunch of bs?
Last edited by cleanb18eg on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By cleanb18eg
#332639 anybody?

Does anyone know if I can jumper the two pin connector to check the code with the car on? Like I said, I have heard not to that's why I ask.

any help is appreciated. i have never ran into this problem and I just don't want to screw anything up.
By cleanb18eg
teal_dx wrote:You can check the code with the car on. I've done it plenty of times for CEL's just like yours. :thumb:

Alright thanks. That's all I needed to know
By cleanb18eg
#332693 Thanks again. Turns out its throwing a code 16 and 22. Time to troubleshoot.
By cleanb18eg
#332745 going to try to swap some injectors I have laying around and see if this fixes the problem. anyone know if that will fix the vtec pressure switch code? or will I have to get one as well?
By cleanb18eg
#336311 So I put the problem aside for a while seeing how my car runs good as long as I don't engage vtec in 4th or 5th gear.

So, when I tried to replace the injectors I noticed I have OBDII injectors but im running an OBD1 ecu. would this be a reason my ecu throws a CEL in 4th and 5th gear? Again, I get CEL code 16 and 22 then the rpm's are limited to 6500 RPM. The codes clear once the car turns off though.

Another reminder, I narrowed the problem down and the cel turns on mainly in 4th and 5th when vtec engages and RPMs are at about 6500.
By Gunni
#336312 nr 1.you were fed some b.s .. even the light goes away it still in the ecu memory untill you clear it by taking the 7 amp spare fuse or disconnect the battery for few seconds..

for code 22.
does your motor have a oil pressure sensor on the v-tec solinod ??? if not here is the fix for it.

for code 16.
what fuel pump are you using ?
you might need to get a better fuel pump or a f.p.r to rise the pressure a little.
By cleanb18eg
#336313 [/IMG]
Gunni wrote:nr 1.you were fed some b.s .. even the light goes away it still in the ecu memory untill you clear it by taking the 7 amp spare fuse or disconnect the battery for few seconds..

for code 22.
does your motor have a oil pressure sensor on the v-tec solinod ??? if not here is the fix for it.

for code 16.
what fuel pump are you using ?
you might need to get a better fuel pump or a f.p.r to rise the pressure a little.

Here is a pic of my vtec pressure switch and oil pressure switch. I think this is what you were asking. And when I bought the car I was told It had a walboro fuel pump capable of producing 255lph I believe. I have not verified that so I am going to assume it is stock. I do have a fpr though. What should the fuel pressure be set to? I read somewhere it varies depending on elevation.
By Gunni
#336336 if i remember correct it should be 48-55 psi (with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched).

is this a new problem or strait after the swap ??
has the wire harness been modded somehow ?? are soldering ok and e.c.t.
By cleanb18eg
Gunni wrote:if i remember correct it should be 48-55 psi (with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and pinched).

is this a new problem or strait after the swap ??
has the w been modded somehow ?? are soldering ok and e.c.t.

Solders seem to be good. All of the injector lines are attached properly.

I bought the car with the motor partially swapped. Basically the shop or owner that tried installing the motor didnt know what they were doing so I have done most of the swap myself. I found that the vtec pressure switch and water temp sensor wires were crossed but that didnt fix the problem im having now. I believe everything is connected to the ecu properly but if I can get my hands on a wiring schematic for the p72 A01 ecu, I would be able to double check half the mess the previous owner made.
Any other suggestions?
Last edited by cleanb18eg on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cleanb18eg
#336346 Forgot to mention...I currently have my fuel pressure at 40-42 with the vacuum line connected to the regulator. The car doesnt seem to run lean or rich. I do get a little backfire but I dont have a muffler.

Any info on injector size? I might try replacing them soon and see if that fixes the problem. If possible id like to diagnose the injectors to see if they are getting and holding the right voltage and resistance while the car is running, but I was unable to find those specs as well.
By JUICE
#336360 Obd1 and 2 injectors are the same. Does Vtec crossover normal around 5600 or whatever before it cuts out at 6500? If it does, it's most likely a bad injector. The car is under the most load in those gears where the injectors will be at their highest duty.
By cleanb18eg
JUICE wrote:Obd1 and 2 injectors are the same. Does Vtec crossover normal around 5600 or whatever before it cuts out at 6500? If it does, it's most likely a bad injector. The car is under the most load in those gears where the injectors will be at their highest duty.

Vtec on this motor engages around 4400-4500rpm everytime. It makes sense that I would have a bad injector if 4th and 5th are when the injectors are at their peak. However, I dont understand why I get two codes, injectors and vtec pressure switch.

Any recommendations on injectors? I have a few boltons (skunk2 pro intake mani, plm toda style headers with 2.5 exhaust with cat and no muffler, dc short ram intake, ngk wires and iridium plugs). I hear oem is fine but what about quality and reliability?