B16, B18, B20
By PirateEG
#337443 VTEC will only come on at proper oil pressure, at speed and proper temp...

Have you checked for fuel pressure at the fuel filter?
I know when I got my poorly swapped B16a2 the fuel filter was JUNK and fuel barely came out. Just loosen the top screw (COLD ENGINE) and see how well it comes out.

For peace of mind too, not a bad idea to make sure you have a radiator full of coolant and coolant in the reservoir.
By cleanb18eg
PirateEG wrote:VTEC will only come on at proper oil pressure, at speed and proper temp...

Have you checked for fuel pressure at the fuel filter?
I know when I got my poorly swapped B16a2 the fuel filter was JUNK and fuel barely came out. Just loosen the top screw (COLD ENGINE) and see how well it comes out.

For peace of mind too, not a bad idea to make sure you have a radiator full of coolant and coolant in the reservoir.

I have coolant and I recently replaced my fuel filter. I also have a fpr and a gauge at the filter output. I'm hoping the vtec problem is a bad or dirty solenoid and not my oil pump.
By cleanb18eg
#337450 When changing my fuel filter, I noticed I have the stock si fuel filter. Could that affect the fuel output?
By PirateEG
#337467 I wouldn't imagine a "stock" fuel filter giving you any sort of issue. a new filter will flow well enough to support the fuel needs of a motor with just bolt-ons.

as for your oil pressure concerns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2fcbTh5yw
^ in short, wouldn't be your oil pump.

Could be the solenoid, have you cleaned that filter?

How fresh is the oil/have enough oil?

Another option, for shits n giggles. Take out the FPR... you never know.
OR a couple more PSI of pressure.

on a side note. I feel ya man, bought a swapped car from moron swapper. IAT was plugged into the IACV, no IAT, VTEC was not wired to ecu but a push pull switch on the shifter :x, and the valve lash was off by .006".

I have noticed that some times it is best to stick with what Honda did to get things back to base... ie your FPR.

just found this too about solenoid gasket replacement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfwNvotd ... e&t=21m05s
you get a new screen with the gasket...
By cleanb18eg
PirateEG wrote:I wouldn't imagine a "stock" fuel filter giving you any sort of issue. a new filter will flow well enough to support the fuel needs of a motor with just bolt-ons.

as for your oil pressure concerns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2fcbTh5yw
^ in short, wouldn't be your oil pump.

Could be the solenoid, have you cleaned that filter?

How fresh is the oil/have enough oil?

Another option, for shits n giggles. Take out the FPR... you never know.
OR a couple more PSI of pressure.

on a side note. I feel ya man, bought a swapped car from moron swapper. IAT was plugged into the IACV, no IAT, VTEC was not wired to ecu but a push pull switch on the shifter :x, and the valve lash was off by .006".

I have noticed that some times it is best to stick with what Honda did to get things back to base... ie your FPR.

just found this too about solenoid gasket replacement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfwNvotd ... e&t=21m05s
you get a new screen with the gasket...

I plan on changing the solenoid gaskets and screen this week sometime. Prob change the oil while I'm at it. Been super busy with school and life so its been on the back burner. I guess your right as far as the fpr. Ill probably get a stock gsr fpr or another aftermarket and hopefully that fixes the fuel issues. Thanks for the vids by the way. As far as fixing other peoples screw ups, it gets frustrating but I got the car and motor for a steal so I can't complain.
By cleanb18eg
#340420 Sorry guys, been real busy lately. Heres an update...I changed the oil, filter, and v-tec solenoid filter.gasket and the solenoid seems to be cutting out at higher rpm's more in 4th and 5th gear now. Its a little better but still not working 100%. I have a feeling that I might just need to get a new solenoid. Any other input and advise is welcome thanks again.
By pkaewthong34
#340423 most of v tec solenoid ( as i heard before ) is non serviceable which is pretty much has to replace it .. i have to replace my sometimes soon since starting to cut out of high rpm as ur also
By cleanb18eg
pkaewthong34 wrote:most of v tec solenoid ( as i heard before ) is non serviceable which is pretty much has to replace it .. i have to replace my sometimes soon since starting to cut out of high rpm as ur also

Doesn't seem to common because not many people have posted the problem.
By suspendedHatch
#340672 What does that mean that it's cutting out and how do you know?
By cleanb18eg
suspendedHatch wrote:What does that mean that it's cutting out and how do you know?

V-tec engages at 3400 rpm and occasionally will cut out (disengage) at or around 5000rpm. Not always though. I know this because I will always get a cel and I can hear it as well.
By bks84
#340920 Id just clean the screen in the gasket and see if that helps... If the screen is dirty, then I'd suspect it to be a wiring problem... either at the ECU or somewhere in the harness/connectors.
By cleanb18eg
bks84 wrote:Id just clean the screen in the gasket and see if that helps... If the screen is dirty, then I'd suspect it to be a wiring problem... either at the ECU or somewhere in the harness/connectors.

I replaced the screen and checked the wiring. I found a bad solder joint so I re-soldered it and still acts the same.