B16, B18, B20
By reaperstk
#330291 History, timing broke at 80,000 miles ago, 2nd cylinder sparkplug thread had to be rethread due to broken sparkplug. Also its a 2000 crv ex but its still a b20. I have a bad ticking sound that you can hear it from 50 ft away but car runs well. No cel only leak is from the pole where you insert the dipstick. Its not over filled. Im saying the peice thats suppose to hold the dipstick can be pulled out if pulled but doesnt come out when driving. I did valve adjustment already but its still doing it. Can the timing make it tick? I havent had time to check it yet. What other cause could it be so i can do everything at once. On a busy schedule :thumbdown:
By HeikDiesel
#330293 Crankshaft isn't hitting the dipstick is it?
By reaperstk
#330303 No. Dipstick looks fine everytime i checked for oil. No signs of chipped metals when i did oil change either. Ill check again to make sure, im trying to figure out what other stuff would make it tick. Anybody know?
By HeikDiesel
#330307 Did you pull the valve cover to see if anything came loose in the top end? I would think a stethiscope would be your friend to try and narrow it down
By brandoff88
#330309 I had a ticking sound when my main bearing let go, after about 2 weeks of grandma driving it finally gave...does it get louder as you speed up?
By reaperstk
#330710 Yup it goes faster as u go. Not any louder than it ticks though.
By brandoff88
#330748 that's what I meant lol, faster not louder, is it more pronounced in early gears, because mine started in first and second and eventually every gear, id drop the oil pan and look for cooper colored shavings or anything else, that might be a good indicator or a bearing on its way out. other than that the only thing I can think of is rod knock....try and get a video with audio and that might help as well...
By reaperstk
#330752 Yea ill drop the pan if its sunny tomoro and take a vid, i hope it aint the rod pplllzzzz
By HeikDiesel
#330753 I'd cut an oil filter before I'd drop the pan. Much less work and will tell you the same thing
By bks84
#331341 Pretty sure B20Zs had issues NEW with the dipstick tube coming out of the block. I do believe you can order new tubes through Honda, I have not done it so dont quote me on that.

As for the tick... Z's are also known to burn valves and all that junk. Do a compression/leak down and see what your results are.

EDIT after watching video...
That doesnt sound good at all.

Probably rod on #3.

Cut the filter open and see whats up.