B16, B18, B20
By Leppy
#329721 This is starting to fry my brain, I need help. I'm horrible at explaining things, so bare with me...

I've got a JDM B18C GSR spec. Several months ago, it started stuttering while driving at what seems like random intervals. It was behaving like it was getting fuel, but the spark wasn't igniting properly. The Dizzy is only half a year old and was a new matched JDM part. So I replaced the spark plugs and wires and O2 sensor and reset the timing. It cleared up for a week or so, then started up again. Then last month, it started getting worse, and then left me stranded on the side of the road. I was able to get it started enough to limp it home while it stuttered and backfired a lot. I stuck it in my shop and started trying to figure it out. I discovered a cracked pipe in my exhaust manifold, so I ordered a header and installed it when it came in after 3 weeks (backorder issues). It ran better, and behaved perfectly going around the block a few times. So last night I took it into town to get some Sonic, and it started doing the same thing again and stalled on me. I was able to get it started after it cooled down a little an limp it home, as it was barely running.

Right now, I have a code 41, O2 sensor heater, which in a moment i'm going to change it out.

So far, I've changed the Dizzy, plugs, wires, O2, cleaned connections for TPS, MAP, and a few other sensors around the intake. Fresh oil change, too. It's getting plenty of fuel, the pump works and the filter is less than a year old. it seems to be spark related.

I'm going to test the TPS and see if it's calibrated, and i read something about a mesh filter on the sensor on the back of the intake manifold, which I'll pull off and see if it exists and needs to be cleaned.

And i've checked that the MAP and TPS connections aren't crossed.

If this doesn't work, I think the only option is to get a new ECU and try it?

This is my daily, any help would be highly appreciated and hug-worthy.
Last edited by Leppy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Leppy
#329722 Also, does anyone have a vacuum line diagram? The map sensor on the firewall has a line coming off the bottom that is t'ed off with one end open and the other end has a line that is plugged off. Is that right?
By Gunni
#329723 try change the spark plug again .. they can be faulty ,even new.
By Gunni
Leppy wrote:Also, does anyone have a vacuum line diagram? The map sensor on the firewall has a line coming off the bottom that is t'ed off with one end open and the other end has a line that is plugged off. Is that right?

yes.
By Leppy
Gunni wrote:try change the spark plug again .. they can be faulty ,even new.

Plugs are black! Would that cause it to crank and idle perfect for a long time when cold ish, but after revving it cause stutter and backfires? Plugs are NGK R PFR6G
By Leppy
#329729 Plugs aren't gapped near where they should be. I had 13's before, but we replaced them with some that weren't gapped right. I think that is all of my issue now. Any recommendations? I'll be grabbing some after I eat
By Leppy
#329732 Right plugs in, still idles funny.
By Leppy
#329733 Bad MAP sensor? Throwing code 3 now
By Leppy
#329735 Can someone look at this and make sure the map sensors are correctly wired and the hoses are right? I don't know which one is the right plug, since both map sensor wires plug into each. (the one with the red center wire is plugged into the TPS)

By Leppy
#329738 More information. It's stalling from being flooded. Both my known good O2 sensors are reading code 41 heater failure and a code 3. I cleaned out the injectors and throttle body and it has OE correct plugs brand new and I checked the gap. I'm thinking about getting both MAP sensors and a chipped P28 ECU mapped for a GSR with IAB intact from swapshopracing.com.

It will idle fine with popping for a while until I give it gas then it hesitates and backfires.
By bks84
#329762 Two map sensors? Which map sensor are you setup to run? The firewall mounted or the throttle body mounted one? If you're using the one on the firewall you're missing a vac source.

Check the tps and map with make sure the plugs aren't switched.

As for the code 41 you could disable the o2 if you were to chip the ecu.
By Leppy
#329764 TPS wire is correct. And yes, there are two map sensors. One is vacuum on the firewall and the other is TB mounted. I have a replacement one from my friends parts car I will swap for the TB mount and see how that works out. Both MAPs plug into each other, but it runs better how it is currently so I'm assuming those are right, but since I don't have another B-series to look at, I can't confirm it.
By Gunni
#329774 ahh.. there is not suppose to be two map sensors..unplug the on on the firewall, the one on the t.b should be enough.
By Leppy
Gunni wrote:ahh.. there is not suppose to be two map sensors..unplug the on on the firewall, the one on the t.b should be enough.

Ok. Unplugged the firewall and only the brand new map sensor is in and reset the computer. It gets beautiful spark, plenty of fuel, but wont do much more than catch briefly then die. Only code 41 present now, but I know the O2 is good. ECU?
By bks84
#329793 Check wiring at the o2.

My buddy was getting the same code and it ended up being chaffed wiring.