B16, B18, B20
By jj_summers87
#328174 i have a jdm b18c swaped in my 95 DX and i am running an EX dash with a tach. will my tach read the proper RPM for the b18 or not, because when i go down the road the tach hits about 5200 and the motor acts and sounds like its at the redline. which i know is alot higher that that. has anyone else had this problem? i just dont want to blow up my car any help is appreciated.
By brandoff88
#328215 sounds like vtec crakin...does the tach stop there, or keep going up past 5200...i know on b series motors the vtec is more noticable when it engages...im no b series guru but im sure thats it, unless your tach stops and you hit a fuel cutoff or rev limiter
By jj_summers87
#328233 i am hitting the rev limiter and no it does not go past. i know that redline is 8200 on my motor and it just has me confused.
By stubrun
#328236 what ecu are you using? i used a faulty ecu on my b16 swapped ej2 and it would get to 5200rpm and start bouncing, was down to an external rom fault on the ecu board.
By brandoff88
#328455 does the tach read properly at idle(i.e around 800-900) it could be a faulty tach, ive seen that where the motor is actually rotating at 8200 rpm but the tach says 5200 or what have you...id try to find another cluster you can swap in real quick and test it out..thats the only other thing i can think of. hope this helps

EDIT:find another cluster that WORKS lol forgot to put that...see if a freind can loan you one for an hour or so, they arnt that hard to take out and it usually takes about 10 to 15 min to swap em...well for me anyway...had to take mine out and put it back in like 50 times lol
By jj_summers87
#328703 well i figured it out it was a bad cluster i got from a friend. i swapped in another from a junk yard and it works perfectly thanks guys
By Fada Blayne
#328709 :thumb: