B16, B18, B20
By Pdx_downs
#322821 So im still new to civics but read alot on here and similar forums and am starting to plan which b series swap I would want. All input is greatly appreciated.

Objectives: Primarily a fun daily driver that still gets around 30-35 mpg combined, and less importantly could be raced later on. wHp anywhere from 150-180, and enough torque to not make it not feal gutless around town and is reliable and will last me long term (5-10 yrs). I just wanna smile everytime i drive it.

Budget: This isn't set in stone but somewhere around $6-7k would be the max for the entire car, but preferably less..including wheels and suspension.

Options: in order of most viable to least.

GSR b18c1-over all solid choice but spendyish
LSVTEC-assuming its build by a reputable shop, with good components (What kind of specs hp/lb/mpg can i expect on average as i realize their are tons of variables?)
k series...I know the least these but much more expensive
b16 variant..-cheaper than b18 but less power, better mpg I would think?
b20 vtec- similiar to lsvtec but less potential combinations and more expensive but more torque (What kind of specs hp/lb/mpg can i expect on average as i realize their are tons of variables?)

So as you can see im trying to find a nice balance of power/mpg/reliablity/daily drivablity/affordability so if you can let me know your expeirence with any of these engines in the above domains especially price I would love to hear it.

Other general questions:
-does raising compression also raise effeciency(hp/tq/mpg/airflow) or just power and thus lower mpg?
-Do jdm engines(obd1) pass emisisions in portland, Or or states? What is the strategy with deq? Any reputable shops or references for the North West? And in general it seems like the best strategy to find deals on built cars is to buy them complete, rather than import engines/building them and have a shop install, is this true, exeptions?
By FG2_Andrew
#322848 b18c1/b16 are the most tried and true Honda swaps! if it were me, i'd go jdm gsr and use whatever money you have left for maintenance. then save more for suspension upgrades. brake upgrades should come shortly after, with more power you will want that extra stopping power.
By Pdx_downs
#322851 Nice, thanks for the post. Are their any problems passing emissions or deq with jdm swaps? And yea gsr seems to be the best swap, but again spendy and possibly less power than lsvtec. If I cheap out and get a b16 instead of b18 am I gonna be bummed it's so torqueless? And is it significantly cheaper to go the b16 route?
By FG2_Andrew
#322853 you'll have to check your state rules on the emissions or someone in Oregon will have to chime in. but as far as power vs. money goes: that is all up to you on which you want (out of the box) because obviously i do not know what kind of driving you do, what you want the build for, etc.

me, for instance, would be perfectly fine with a stock gsr with bolt ons. i am not in it for big power goals, high tq #s, and what-have-you.. i do want a better #s than stock D15B for my daily.

i just noticed this post didn't have any responses so i thought maybe my .02 would help. i'm sure someone else can chime in!
By bigJOE671
#322855 I daily drive my hatch with a B16 and also drove a EM1, "no torque" like everyone says. I drove an integra with a B18C5, a GSR, and that was a big difference in torque (to me) compared to my B16.

It feels like a D16 engine basically when your under 4000rpm. When My AC is on...the car just feels like a turtle. Just my $0.02
By Pdx_downs
#322857 Hey that's great to know, because as a daily driver 90 percent of the time I'll be drivig below 4k, which starts to make the gsr more attractive. Oh and my power goals are below, nothing crazy.
By FG2_Andrew
#322858 like i said man, if you're anything like me, an unmolested gsr will probably be more than perfect. and b-series have so many options for better #'s down the road.
By Pdx_downs
#322863 Ok so what kind of real world mpg can i expect from both the jdm b16 and b18c1's driven nicely? I can look at the usdm counterparts and see the mpg in their respective stock cars...(gsr) but with the eg weighing significantly less than an integra, i expect different numbers.

Also ive been looking in portland for about a month now and havent seen any unmolested gsr's already swapped in an eg. Should it be this hard to find one? Im trying to buy a complete car because i beleive it would be cheaper than importing an engine and peicing it together.
By Leppy
#322964 I've got a JDM B18C GSR with a matching GSR 5-speed LSD swap in my 92 sedan. Only supporting mods are short ram intake and full exhaust system.

I get 30 to 32 MPG average on 93 octane, and I abuse it and run the highways alot. You just have to watch your oil on a monthly basis, because it is natural for VTEC to burn oil according to Honda. (When I worked at the dealership, we called techline and they said loosing a quart of oil a month is within specifications for B-series VTEC motors)
By Pdx_downs
#322998 hey thats awesome to know thanks. Other than california, is anyone have jdm engines pass deq? Any real world driving experience with b16 or itrs mpg? Best way to get this motor cheaply? So far ive seen a jdm b18c1 on jdmdepot for $2600 and thats significantly cheaper than other sites.
By cleanb18eg
#331085 Not sure if this thread is still alive but I agree with leppy. I also have a jdm b18c gsr with a few bolt ons and a s80 tranny lsd and my eg moves. Lots of torque and power and still get 30-32 mpg. Its my daily driver and I love it. Only thing is I don't burn no where near a quart of oil a month. Maybe half a quart in three months is what I have lost.

Highly recommend b18c. Good luck on your search.