B16, B18, B20
By Pdx_downs
#322703 So I'm new to this site (1st post) and never driven an eg so I contacted a seller on cl to checkout his car just to test drive it for fun, which he was cool with. SO I just had my first expierence in a swapped civic, like losing my virginity all over again.. pretty damn exciting, and now im hooked on civics. Check out this ad to see what i drove and tell me if my expierence was typical or if the car is whack. This is what it says..

"Up for sale my 95 grey civic hatch with a clean title and good tabs for 2014. It has a Lsvtec swap done by sv performance with new water pump and racing timing belt, new radiator and starter. This swap was put together by sv performance with a b18b1 with low miles around less than 70k miles with a new golden eagle headgasket and ARP head studs . It has a Jdm sir head with CTR cams vtec cracks loud and hard. It has 4-1 headers with 2.5 straight pipe . It has a gsr tranny with new tranny fluid no grinds or pop ups shifts into all gears perfectly. The body is 7/10 due to paint job and small dings here and there nothing major. The interiror is 7/10 due to no carpet with a Jdm sir cluster."

So when I drove it, it was wet, and I the clutch was pretty crazy like the car either died or revved up to like 5k, far from subtle and i could hardly help from burning out at every stop. I'm not sure how I could daily drive that, but none the less very fun and fast. The owner revved it up to like 9k..im guessing not a good idea for an lsvtec (Usually redline at 7k i beleive? and was loud as fuck) let me know what you think of this car and price and upgrades and potential specs of this car because the owner had no idea and its the only eg i have driven so far. Thanks and Much appreciated.
By josh93coupe
#322718 First off, if he is reving that bottom end to 9k, thats not good. Hard to tell how much longer its going to hold on for.. Is sv performance a KNOWN local shop. How reliable are they? Who tuned it? OR is it even tuned... Also whats asking price?
By Pdx_downs
#322730 Sorry i thought the price was included in the ad and He is asking $2,600 for the car, He showed me the $1500 receipts to rebuild the lsvtec swap because the block was cracked when he purchased it. As far as SV Performance is concerned, I have no idea but i doubt it. I'm pretty new to the scene so I don't know if any shop is well known in Portland. and He didn't mention anything about it being tuned so I would predict that its not.
By Apexracing
#322736 lsv's are just a bad idea for a first car. Its a frankenstein motor and that usually comes with reliability issues because people like to cut corners. Like stated b18b1 bottom end revved to 9k is a bad idea. If the chassis is straight and every thing that goes with it, i'd buy it and get another b series engine in it.
By Pdx_downs
#322751 If the lsvtec is done by a reputable shop and we are assuming they won't cut corners and or it is under warranty and you don't rev it past say 7k to 8k is it inherently unreliable because it's a Frankenstein or because people drive and construct poorly? If done correctly is lsvtec a viable option for a fun dependable daily driver and occasional drag car? How does the b20 Frankenstein compare in terms of reliability?
By Apexracing
Pdx_downs wrote:If the lsvtec is done by a reputable shop and we are assuming they won't cut corners and or it is under warranty and you don't rev it past say 7k to 8k is it inherently unreliable because it's a Frankenstein or because people drive and construct poorly? If done correctly is lsvtec a viable option for a fun dependable daily driver and occasional drag car? How does the b20 Frankenstein compare in terms of reliability?

Its still a crap shoot as far as a reliable daily driver, the b20 is worse off because the cylinder walls are paper thin. Both motors need to be built/ balanced by someone that knows what they are doing. If your positive the motor is built professionally, and it has the paper work then go for it.
By Pdx_downs
#322753 Ok thanks good advice. So as far as the not even being able to daily driver that specific eg, like I said it revved to 5k uncontrollably..if I had to start On a hill I couldn't do it. I would never get traction. Is it a tuning issue or a clutch issue and is it easily fixed or pretty common? My expierience pretty typical of most swapped egs?
By Apexracing
#322754 It could just be a really stiff 4 or 6 puck clutch. They have strong holding power but the engagement is more of an on off switch. A good set of tires and a lsd will help get the power down.
By Pdx_downs
#322760 Ok he said he had a stage 2 clutch and gsr tranny. I don't know what a stage 2 clutch is but is definately wasnt a smooth or fluid ride but it sounds like that could be relatively easily fixed.
By Apexracing
#322763 stage 2 isnt as important as weither or not its 4 or 6 puck.
By Pdx_downs
#322764 Ok great, thanks for the info. Definitely good to know. Any other opinions or ideas about this car and it's potential problems? Concerns?