B16, B18, B20
By jdmdx93
#317562 I had an eg sedan gutted with a d16z6 (love vtec) but I totalled it. Got another EG sedan. I really dont like single cams much anymore.
Im looking to make this a daily driver but I still want vtec. Is it even worth it to build an ls/vtec and will it be reliable for a daily driver? I dont know much about DOHC but thats why im posting this. My buddy has a regular ls but It doesnt feel right without vtec. Any info would be greatly appreciated
By jdmdx93
#317563 im also on a budget and a 12 month license suspension so i have time to build it, just wanna get a block and then a head and do it slowly.

along with that whats the best block/head combination for an ls vtec??
like i said, i know nothing about DOHC
By chrono404
#317572 DIY: How to build a reliable LS/VTEC or B20/VTEC.
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=2027&start=0

The GSR head will better deter detonation, and have better mid range torque. the B16 Head will have better high end flow.
By Juan Carlos
#317583 I had a ls-vtec set up in a 91 Ef and it was fast but not reliable, but now I have a 93 del sol si with a 99 crv b20b from Japan with a built GSR synchrotec tranny which is faster the my ls-vtec set up with bolt ons I
Run b16 and gsr all day and win and its a very reliable set up. And cheaper. :thumb:
By kapow
#317734 Or you can just build an LS with no vtec, you can net up to 170hp on the highest octane gas using oem parts and a 403 cam
By bks84
kapow wrote:Or you can just build an LS with no vtec, you can net up to 170hp on the highest octane gas using oem parts and a 403 cam

Doubtful it would make 170 on the stock port and stock manifold.

a properly built LSV is worth it... KEY WORD, properly bit. Sticking a stock VTEC head on a stock LS longblock is far from "properly" done.