B16, B18, B20
By xhardlinerx
#316979 I was thinking about buying this civic with a B16A JDM motor. He claims the motor is from http://hmotorsonline.com and has 50,000 miles. When he bought the car he didn't get the receipts.

I have a picture of the stamp on it. How can I tell if this is the 160 HP or 170 HP engine? I looked everywhere for engine codes.
This is the code from the picture: B16A
HM

This is the pic http://images.craigslist.org/5N75V55Hb3 ... 3b15a9.jpg

What does the 5503833 stand for?
What does the HM stand for?

I have this article,I think it might be incorrect because it says some 92 and up jdm b16a engines had 160 hp and some had 170 hp. http://www.jdmcars.com/tech/admin/b16adiff.pdf

If i got to HMO motors online all of the 92 and up civic engines have 170 HP.

The header has a small crack in it. He sealed the crack up with some foam sealant or something. He said the crack was from a drop or accident and not from redlining abuse. I think that is B/S but he said hes not lying and it runs strong.

This is the crack in the header that is sealed.

http://images.craigslist.org/5I45Ha5J33 ... 031c26.jpg

Could I just get the header welded for temporary driving, and then buy a new header?
Last edited by xhardlinerx on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Aldo91
#316981 seems shady to me already, I mean if he doesn't have a receipt then i say no go on it.

Also if he is willing to seal the header with foam what could that say about the care he took on the engine. how much are you getting it for if you do buy it?

I'd pass but thats just my opinion. anyone else care to chime in?
By chrono404
#316988 If he bought the car with the engine in it, He wouldn't have a Receipt for the Engine.

That B16 is not from HMotorsonline though. All Motors coming from them have the Text "HMO" inside of a circle laser etched into the block next to the Code.

The "5503833" is the Serial Number of the Engine.

The "H M" Stamp means Honda cast the block, All Honda engines will have that.

The header where it cracked is a common place for ebay Headers to crack. Happened on my eBay header that was on my B16, then my B20. Happened on my buddys JDM GSR with a Ebay header as well, That being sealed isn't a big flag IMO.

the OBD0 Version of the engine was 160Hp, the OBD1 and OBD2 Versions were rater at 170hp. I remember reading alot of that was tuning on the ECU. I'm not sure how to tell one engine from anouther though.

What would concern me is:
1) No Vin Tag on the Transmission means its more likely then not Stolen, It could have been knocked off but unlikely.
2) No HMO Lazer Etching meaning the Engine is NOT from H Motors online.
3) There is no Boot over the Transmission Shift Fork/Clutch slave clyinder. This is not hard to put in and shows hes lazy when doing work. Its not hard to get the shiftfork and clutch lined up, I have done it many times. This is a concern and wont be good on the clutch as its exposed to more of the elements.

I would Recommend passing on it unless you get Engine, Trans, Axles and ECU under $1000.

Honda Tuning has done a Complete K24a1 Swap into a DC Sedan, The DC is the EG Civics Twin and everything they did can be done to an EG. There swap was just under $1200. Thats not a Typo, Yes under one thousand two hundred dollars can get you a K Swap into your EG.
By xhardlinerx
#317035 He said his headers were from ebay.

He is going to send me another pic of the close up of the engine with the HMO stamp.

Hes asking 4000 but im not buying it unless i talk down the price. The main reason i want this one is the color.

I was planning on swapping out the engine and tranny eventually.
Last edited by xhardlinerx on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bigJOE671
xhardlinerx wrote:he said his headers were from ebay

THANKS

By reading the engine's serial number that might be an OBD-1 motor

I have a ODB-0 B16 my serial number begins with 1

I researched a long time ago about B16's there is one place where it has a ton of info on B16's. It's kinda hard to find cuz I don't remember the key words I used to search.
By chrono404
xhardlinerx wrote:He said his headers were from ebay.

He is going to send me another pic of the close up of the engine with the HMO stamp.

Hes asking 4000 but im not buying it unless i talk down the price. The main reason i want this one is the color.

I was planning on swapping out the engine and tranny eventually.

$4000? :lol: :thumbdown:

You can get your own b16 shipped from H Motors for $2700 + Shipping. Paying an extra $1300 for one that hasn't been taken care of well is not smart. $4000 would get you a JDM GSR full swap, Gsr's will stomp out B16's.

That header looks very bad. While its probally sealed Its quite ugly, I sealed mine with out making it look horrid.

If you want it just for the Red Valve Cover you can paint one for less then $20.

I would pass, The only way I would take it if it was under $1000. He wants 4 times that, so I would skip it. If you were thinking of spending $4000 you can have a Nice K Series swap, which even the slowest K Series is faster then a B16, as well as having more street cred.
By xhardlinerx
#317061 (I meant the reason I wanted the car was because of the cars exterior color, not the red valve color)
Thank You

I was planning on replacing the engine and tranny eventually with a type r package.

I guess I could get this other 92 SI for hopefully 3000 and it has a stock USA Si motor with 160 miles on it but the guy has about 20 reciepts for a timing belt, clutch, spark plugs, water pump, cx axles, cross drilled brakes/rotors, rebuilt A/C system, that were installed this year.

Bad thing is that i have to drive 4 hours back and forth to get it, and I would have to spend around 800-900 for a black color paint job from my uncle and the guy said the vtec goes out when driving at high speeds.

The guy whos selling the SI with the cracked head sounds honest he has a 06 rsx type s, it does have the hmo stamp. I wouldnt buy his car unless he reduced the price to around 3500. He has some additional stuff like skunk2 springs, new control arms, cv axles, but no receipts.

Thank you chrono404 your a life saver.
By chrono404
xhardlinerx wrote:(I meant the reason I wanted the car was because of the cars exterior color, not the red valve color)
Thank You

I was planning on replacing the engine and tranny eventually with a type r package.

I guess I could get this other 92 SI for hopefully 3000 and it has a stock USA Si motor with 160 miles on it but the guy has about 20 reciepts for a timing belt, clutch, spark plugs, water pump, cx axles, cross drilled brakes/rotors, rebuilt A/C system, that were installed this year.

Bad thing is that i have to drive 4 hours back and forth to get it, and I would have to spend around 800-900 for a black color paint job from my uncle and the guy said the vtec goes out when driving at high speeds.

The guy whos selling the SI with the cracked head sounds honest he has a 06 rsx type s, it does have the hmo stamp. I wouldnt buy his car unless he reduced the price to around 3500. He has some additional stuff like skunk2 springs, new control arms, cv axles, but no receipts.

Thank you chrono404 your a life saver.

The price makes so much more sense now that your buying a car, not just a swap. In that case the $4000 doesn't seam that bad of deal.

Having a car that already has a B Series will make it easier to swap in a B Series Engine then one that has a D Series, as you already have your shift linkage, your cv axles, wiring done, etc. so for an extra $1000 it makes sense to get the car with a b Series.

If the US Si engine is a D16z6 then it makes sense to get the B Series car, If the US Si Engine is a B16a2(99-00 Civic Si) or B16a3(93-97 Delsol VTEC) engine, the cheaper car might not be a bad deal. At that point it should be which car do you like better.

Good luck :thumb:
By xhardlinerx
#317082 What are the problems I could experience with a cracked header?

I noticed theres small amounts of rust around the bolts. I will post a picture later of the rust.

I plan to drive that motor with the cracked header for a couple months untill Im on vacation and then I can get the new Type R package installed.
By bradleyg
#317108 I wouldn't recommend riving it with a cracked header. I would much rather get a used OEM/stock header for cheap and replace it to drive it for the time being.
By mADmAN
#317122 if ur asking about JDM B16As...then based on the grey connector its 170hp... the 160hp has milky white connectors.

but in terms of the other issues like stolen or not... taken care of or not.. id have to go with wat others have said.
By kapow
#317869 Another way you can tell is, correct me if i'm wrong, the 170hp B16A has a 60mm throttle body, where as the 160hp B16A has a 58mm throttle body.

Another way to tell, later B16A like the SiRII has the IAT sensor on the intake piping, where as older B16A has the IAT sensor on the intake manifold.

Good luck
By bks84
kapow wrote:Another way you can tell is, correct me if i'm wrong, the 170hp B16A has a 60mm throttle body, where as the 160hp B16A has a 58mm throttle body.

Another way to tell, later B16A like the SiRII has the IAT sensor on the intake piping, where as older B16A has the IAT sensor on the intake manifold.

Good luck

All B16's had the same size throttle body. Pretty sure OBD0 LS' had 58mm throttle bodies.

Also, pretty certain that OBDII B16's (99-00 Si) had the IAT sensors on the intake pipe whereas all others had them on the #4 runner.