B16, B18, B20
By madhatchride
#316457 ok so i just swapped motors in my hatch. the car ran fine no fuel issues or missfires was just knocking and losing power.so i swapped out motors used my same intake all the same wiring everything was put back as it was taken out i have no crazy idles car starts smooth revs fine and the motor i swapped i know for a fact had only 70k on it because i pulled the motor out of a stock un touched wrecked 99 gs but it set for a year. when i rev it on up it smokes a lil but i cant tell 100 percent but it kind of smells like fuel but im wanting to figure out if its fuel or oil because i planned on boosting it because of the low miles and being a usdm lower compression motor so can someone help me out here ??
By Apexracing
#316459 does it smoke at start up at all? could be torn valve guide seals from sitting. Same could be said for the rings if it smokes all the time, bad from sitting. Its always good practice to dump a cap of oil down each cylinder of a motor that has sat a good while before starting. It helps lube every thing up, and minimizes the metal on metal friction.
By madhatchride
#316460 no smoke on start up period idles smoothly when you rev it up close to 5 grand after its warmed up or before either way it throws smoke n it to me smells like fuel could i be running rich ?
By Apexracing
#316463 Are you running the stock exhaust setup? i know obd2 uses two o2 sensors. Did you convert the motor to obd1?
By madhatchride
#316464 no its a 5zigen 3 inch all the way back and i used my obd1 intake and ecu so yes and im only running one 02 sensor
By teal_dx
#316465 Do a compression test :thumb:
If the #'s are low then put a tiny bit of oil in each cyl (through spark plug hole)
If the next test is better, you have worn rings. If #'s are the same, your valve seals are worn. This is assuming that the head gasket is 100%. :thumb:
By Apexracing
teal_dx wrote:Do a compression test :thumb:
If the #'s are low then put a tiny bit of oil in each cyl (through spark plug hole)
If the next test is better, you have worn rings. If #'s are the same, your valve seals are worn. This is assuming that the head gasket is 100%. :thumb:

Yea im thinking some ring damage from sitting the. Dry starting. Its possible a oil ring could just be stuck as well. A compression test will tell the whole story.
By madhatchride
#316467 thanks ill do a compression test lil disheartening seeing how i just swapped it :/
By madhatchride
#316667 ok so after i drove it a lil bit the blue smoke disapeared i can run it to red line with out any smoke or oil blowing out
By Apexracing
#316671 Could of been oil getting by the rings or the valve guide seals until they got lubed and resealed themselves. Any ways keep any eye on it.