B16, B18, B20
By jred
#311505 so im doing a rebuild of my b16a and im gona change pistons, rods and rings
im putting back OEM for now, my question is, "should i use oversize piston rings?" if the cylinder walls needs to be honed, and im sure it does because the engine has seen some torture.
if yes what size is recommended? and can the stock pistons work with oversized rings?
i tried google but i dont know much bout ring sizes so i dont know whats what :?
By mADmAN
jred wrote:so im doing a rebuild of my b16a and im gona change pistons, rods and rings
im putting back OEM for now, my question is, "should i use oversize piston rings?" if the cylinder walls needs to be honed, and im sure it does because the engine has seen some torture.
if yes what size is recommended? and can the stock pistons work with oversized rings?
i tried google but i dont know much bout ring sizes so i dont know whats what :?

i asked my mech once about using 85mm bore with 84mm pistons and larger pistons rings... he said its possible, but the engine will consume a lil engine oil...not sure how much though.

and since ur gonna hone the sleeves, and planning on changing pistons anyway....itll be a good time to upgrade to PCT (B16B) pistons. theyre about 0.25mm larger if not mistaken...but how much u bore will depend on how bad/deep the scratches are on the sleeve (if any)

if they arent badly scratched (or no scratches at all)... perhaps just getting the 0.25mm larger pistons with rings and bore it to that size.
By bks84
mADmAN wrote:
jred wrote:so im doing a rebuild of my b16a and im gona change pistons, rods and rings

i asked my mech once about using 85mm bore with 84mm pistons and larger pistons rings... he said its possible, but the engine will consume a lil engine oil...not sure how much though.

and since ur gonna hone the sleeves, and planning on changing pistons anyway....itll be a good time to upgrade to PCT (B16B) pistons. theyre about 0.25mm larger if not mistaken...but how much u bore will depend on how bad/deep the scratches are on the sleeve (if any)

if they arent badly scratched (or no scratches at all)... perhaps just getting the 0.25mm larger pistons with rings and bore it to that size.

b16b pistons come in 81 and 81.5, just like most all other OEM replacements.

if you hone a cylinder you dont necessirrly make it larger, youre just adding a nice new cross hatch in the sleeve. yes, it removes material, but nothing like boring the cylinder out.

if you need to replace the pistons, i would buy the pistons and rings together. so, if you decide to just rehone, buy 81mm pistons, if you end up having to bore, then youd need 81.5, and rings to match.

since it seems you havent hardly any clue whats really going on, I'd contact a machine shop and see what they say.
By jred
#311713 thanks :thumb:
but i already bought a set of standard B16a pistons ( 81mm ) and rods
if i do need to bore could the 81.5mm rings work with the 81mm pistons?
im just using these until next year when i go forge
By bks84
#311717 no, your piston to wall clearances would be wack. youd use a lot of oil and could ruin the engine by the time you buy the right stuff.