B16, B18, B20
By Stam
#309104 guys which block is more preferable?
b20b or b20z?
By poorman type-r
bks84 wrote:
poorman type-r wrote:
bks84 wrote:You'll wanna use a vtec (gsr, itr) water pump and timing belt.

It'll b fine, but it'll probably make the same power with a lil more torque than a gsr, w/lower redline.

What do I think? Stock block b20v's aren't worth the trouble.

B20v makes more power than a GSR. Plus, with the ARP bolts you could rev it to 8.2k just fine. (Same as a GSR).

If you can build it and make it reliable you will not regret it.

Are you talking about a stock block (p3f/phk) b20 w/vtec head making the same a stock GSR?

Stock JDM B20z block with a GSR head will put down 170ish whp. I would take a stock GSR for a DD over a budgeted B20v though. You need to put the money into a B20v to get it running correctly and make it reliable.
By bks84
#309112 Exactly my point. Id take stock b20b/z swap over a budgeted b20v
By poorman type-r
Stam wrote:guys which block is more preferable?
b20b or b20z?

JDM B20z has the higher compression, I think. Don't get discouraged by what we are saying though. Just make sure you build it right bro. If you have any questions about that swap ask away. Better to build it right the first time.
By bks84
#309137 Just check the back of the block near #2 for a knock sensor, if its present then its a high compression model, 9.6:1 (or 9.2:1 idk).
By Stam
#309226 il go on thursday to pick up a b20 conversion
but for the moments is going to be stock no vtec head no nothing
when later the motor is in the engine bay can a mechanic changr the water and oil pump or shoul i do it now before the swap?
By Stam
#309253 maybe i did some bad speling before
when the engine is placed/instaled on the car
can a mechanic change the oil and water pump?
By chrono404
#309255 Since your unsure of which route to go I will give a few recommendations.

Get a Fresh 99Spec B20b from Japan, Its the same as our USDM B20Z however will have much much lower mileage and be super fresh. As well as having a short intake manifold that will fit under the hoods of Civics/Delsols.

Then match that upto a GSR or B16 Preferablly LSD Transmission. Once you have done this you will have a stupidly fast car. My JDM B20b/B16 tranny delsol was Faster then my WRX. Now that my WRX a bunch of boltons its a bit slower in cold days however faster in warm days. Thats pretty darn good comparing that all you have is a stock reliable engine with a stock transmission.

Want more power? Throw in Stage 1 or Stage 2 cams. they will be cheap and give great power gains. Delta cams for stage 2 was $90 for a Stage 2 Cam. so for $180 you will stage 2 Cams in your B20. and then it will really rip.

That is one route I would go. I have thought multiple times about b20vtec and I will list what i was planning on doing:
JDM b20b
GSR Waterpump and timing belt
GSR p72 Head
ARP Rods bolts
ARP head bolts
REALLY good tune.
You do not need a VTEC oil pump as all 96+ B Series blocks come with them, Its not a bad idea to put in a new oil pump however if you get a JDM model its needed as its going to be super low mileage.

The GSR Head will help with midrange torque which you will want, as well as the head casting helps deter detonation. This is the good route for B20Vtecs.

All things said above. Honda Tuning has proven for $1200 bucks or so you can have a K24 into an EG or DC: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech ... ewall.html

Its not the super Rev Happy Type-R Engine, however 160hp/160ftlbs is nothing to sneeze at. On the plus side you will have a K Series and be able to enjoy the benefits that brings such as easy bolt on hp. the accord engines also easily accept the Performance vtec heads off the Civic Si and RSX-S and TSX. making for easy future power as well. The down side is its alot harder to swap in as its not a bolt in procedure and it will undoubtedly take longer to do then a B Series. It will also make more your car more of a target to theifs if they know you have a K Series.

Just wanted to give you some options. I have been more then happy with my high comp b20 and my b16 tranny in my delsol. If you do a Similar setup you will have no problems taking GSR swaps and easily smoking B16's. I know i have no problems with that. Good luck. :thumb:
By Stam
#309300 if i buy my b20z i will sure buy a gsr tranny
(i cant use the crv tranny)
for the intake manifold part now
it sits so damn high,so i can close my hood so i must buy another?
fuck...what manifold do you suggest?oem and aftermarket
also what ecu should i pick?
i alredy have a p28 (v tec operation for later...)is it gonna work without a tune?
By chrono404
Stam wrote:if i buy my b20z i will sure buy a gsr tranny
(i cant use the crv tranny)
for the intake manifold part now
it sits so damn high,so i can close my hood so i must buy another?
fuck...what manifold do you suggest?oem and aftermarket
also what ecu should i pick?
i alredy have a p28 (v tec operation for later...)is it gonna work without a tune?

All B20Z's are USDM, If an importer gets you one, it came from the states. I recommend a JDM B20b especially as they are not that expensive and they will be super fresh.

If you get a B20Z or a 99Spec B20B they will come with the short intake manifold. If it has a Tall Manifold its not the 99spec.

If you get a b20b with a tall manifold you can swap the manifold out with an OEM b18b Integra manifold. The B20 and the B18b share heads. Anytime you need parts not available for the b20, b18b parts will work. A Skunk 2 Intake Manifold will work very well.

You can use a PR4 B18b Acura LS Ecu and it work just fine. You can use a Chipped p28 as well. If you do this dont settle for a "Base Map" as just a Base map, as in a starting point for tuning. Altough the p28 in stock trim will run the b20 it will run it lean and not be good for your engine.

If you swap in a B20 with a LS transmission it will be slower then a D16z6 with EX transmission and bolt ons. The LS gears just kill it. Once you swap in a GSR Tranny or b16 tranny it will be much much faster. GSR crushing Fast. I highly recommend using one of those Transmission otherwise there is very little point to the swap IMO.
By Stam
#309307 from the only importer here i have found these
http://www.platanas.gr/index.php/metaxeirismena/2009-10-01-11-16-52/crv/crv-97-01.html
i believe the second is my best option i only need a gsr tranny axles,enginemounts thats for the hardware
guys please whats the cost of a chipped ecu with a tube on it for the b20?
or is it best to take a b18b ecu and let the p28 for tune when i go v tec?
(also thank you very much you guys have enormous knowledge for these things)
By Stam
#309342 i mean that the b18b ecu can runn v tec if needet?
By chrono404
Stam wrote:i mean that the b18b ecu can runn v tec if needet?

the b18b ecu can not vtec. If you want VTEC chip and have a tuned map loaded onto the p28 ecu you already have.

Also do not fall into the easily tempting idea of using a GSR ecu for your b20vtec. It will run to lean and ruin your engine. The biggest part about b20vtec reliability is the tune.
By bks84
Stam wrote:i mean that the b18b ecu can runn v tec if needet?

actually, yes it can. it will need to be chipped and have the vtec functions added.

http://www.xenocron.com/vtec-conversion ... p-278.html
http://www.xenocron.com/products.php?page=chippingkits
By Stam
#309462 hi there
today i was going to the honda dealer
i post his url a few reply s before
he said to me that the easyest and cheapest way to do it is
to get a b16a2 conversion(shift cables, engine ,mounts tranny axles,wire loom ,ecu) with a broken engine
this way i will get it cheap(i found a crx with a b16a for 700 euro)
and i will get from him a b20z for another 600euro so 1300 for everything
+arp bolts
+a new oem cluch
and it will be perfect
whats your opinion?
(i found out that the b18b series of engines never excistet entered greece,even the integras here are all special order LOL!)