B16, B18, B20
By 94 EG Hatch
#301518 Hi, all.

I am the "Noob" to the forums, I guess you could say lol. Name is Terence. Actually just bought a 1994 Civic EG Hatch shell. I am going to put a B20 swap into it, but I was curious as to what tranny to run. I have been told by a few different people that the B20 with the B18B1 LS tranny could be lethal for mid range speed. Compared to running the GSR, I would lose some bottom end or top end. Can't remember which, but I am curious. I dont want it setup for a 1/4 run where I need bottom end, but I seek a little acceleration with a good range of top speed. Any suggestions, feedback would be greatly appreciated. I also forgot to mention that this is my first ever Honda and my first ever Honda build. I do have some friends that have been around Hondas for a very long time who are trying their best to help me out on this.

Thanks for reading,
-Terence.
By rootbeer_eg
#301524 ive got a b16 transmission on my high comp b18 and it gets up and goes pretty good

a buddy ahas a turbo b20 with a b16 tranny and he says that the gears are to short for the track

i think that if you got a ls tranny and put lsd in it youd be set!!
but that just my 2cents
By newyorkhatch
rootbeer_eg wrote:ive got a b16 transmission on my high comp b18 and it gets up and goes pretty good

a buddy ahas a turbo b20 with a b16 tranny and he says that the gears are to short for the track

i think that if you got a ls tranny and put lsd in it youd be set!!
but that just my 2cents

I second the ls tranny with LSD in it idea :thumb:
By SkunkDcivic
#301535 i personally think the gsr tranny is perfect
By Hatch-O-Doom
#301540 I am running a B20T with a LS Tranny, and man does it suck! Gears all way to short for it.

and wheel spin like a mothafucka! :x
By 94 EG Hatch
#301545 I agree. I think that the LSD is the way to go. One question though. Anybody that is familair with B20 swaps, will I need to have custom cross-members installed on my hatch to fit this engine in, or should it just drop in? I have also been advised to get Torque mounts so that it will hold up, as well as the neccesary items like high-strength motor mounts and trans mounts, etc. Any input onto what to use? Sorry to ask so much, but I wanna get this right and not have a half-done setup.
By Hatch-O-Doom
#301551 No custom cross member required.
Run a Bseries shift Linkage.
A good set of motor mounts

If you can get a LSD and the car should be good man! :thumb:
By 94 EG Hatch
Hatch-O-Doom wrote:No custom cross member required.
Run a Bseries shift Linkage.
A good set of motor mounts

If you can get a LSD and the car should be good man! :thumb:

Ok cool. Thanks, man. Appreciate the help.