B16, B18, B20
By jrhdominos
#301088 Okay, before you all make a b16 joke..here we go. My car has been acting funny lately. First off, I am getting TERRIBLE gas mileage. 16-20 mpg driving it like Im supposed to. Second off, I have NO bottom end power, I can hardly take off in traffic, and I cant make it up gradual hills going 55 mph in 5th, I have to downshift. Something else that seems out of the norm, is when its cold, my car drives fine, it isnt sluggish at all, but when it warms up thats when it wants to act out. When I crank it up in the morning, the idle seems to hunt for around 3-5 secs, then it settles around 2000 rpms until it warms up, then it idles perfect at 800 rpms. So far I have replaced the o2 sensor and I just did a complete tune up. I dont want to go throwing parts at it just yet, so I figured I could come to yall for advice. All opinions/advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.
By jrhdominos
#301096 I feel like nobody on the internet knows the answer to this...Ive searched and searched and searched...ive actually seen other posts online where people have had the same symptoms but nobody responded..lol..ANY help is appreciated...I just got to get my car running right.
By neo27ny
#301098 I hear ya man, I've posted on various forums in the past and did searches looking for answers to problems and got nothing. Usually I find the answer myself by starting with the small stuff and ruling it out. First off is it throwing any codes, the check engine light on? You said you did a tune up and replaced the O2 sensor. I'm assuming the tune up was plugs, wires etc. I would check the fuel filter and catalytic to make sure its not starting to plug up. Not exactly sure how or if you can check a fuel filter but it should be cheap I would just change it anyway. You could always clean the throttle body too and the sensors. I cleaned my fitv and eacv along with the throttle body and it helped my idle alot. Start small, work your way up. Usually it's something you overlook a million times. Oh and check your air filter, it might sound stupid but unless you know for sure it can't hurt to check. Post an update if you figure anything out, I'll try to help if I can. Good luck.
By bks84
#301104 Check mechanical timing as well as ignition timing.
By jrhdominos
#301151 Haha...thought about going K..but I have a b17 in my GSR Integra that I plan on sleeving/boring, forged pistons, etc...plan on running a 100 shot through it once a week...the b16 really is just a temp motor for now, but I still want it to run right.
By jrhdominos
#301152 BTW it is NOT throwing any codes....I am running a bit rich...Ill look into the cat...might just snatch it off just to see how it runs w/out it. I plan on doing some things to the car Monday...I'm going to get a vacuum gauge and see what Im looking like from there. I will definately pick up a new fuel filter....
By chrono404
jrhdominos wrote:BTW it is NOT throwing any codes....I am running a bit rich...Ill look into the cat...might just snatch it off just to see how it runs w/out it. I plan on doing some things to the car Monday...I'm going to get a vacuum gauge and see what Im looking like from there. I will definately pick up a new fuel filter....

I was going to suggest checking for vacuum leaks. it could cause your symptoms.

Another free check is seeing your low on coolant or if your coolant looks murky. Checking your oil is probally a good idea as well.

I first thought of the idle air valve by the throttle body, however that shouldn't be the case if it idles well.

Good luck. :thumb:
By jrhdominos
#301301 I have not checked the coolant recently, so thats in order as soon as I get some daylight...Im really leaning towards it being my distributor...also..and this is my bad for not mentioning it...but my motor is making a noise like its making popcorn...never heard it before in my life...any idea what that sound is...?