B16, B18, B20
By 94hatchback
#295465 ok so i got an obd0 b16 thats been converted to obd1. its an 89 motor in a 94 hatch. i got a chipped p28 ecu, obx 4-1 header running one 4 wire o2 sensor at the collector. TD68 dizzy. I just cant figure out why it has a hesitation. i tried new cap, rotor, plugs, wires.. new o2. tried messing with the igintion timing. the only thing i can think is possibly the dizzy is bad but im not about to drop more money on a new one if its not gonna change anything.. any ideas? i was thinking it also might be the TPS?? HELP!
By 94hatchback
#295469 seems to idle fine.. its a hesitation in lower rpms.. i dont have a working tach currently but id say around 3000 to 4500 it clears up
By TrailerTrash
#295474 you could always get a new dizzy and if it doesnt help, return it.
By 94hatchback
#295479 speedometer works.. its really jumpy when you get around 55mph or so but it works haha. and yea i could try getting a dizzy and returning it if its not the problem.. i might give that a shot.. you guys think the TPS would have anything to do with it?
By stubrun
#295584 My old coupe had this problem mate, it was the igniter inside the coil.
By 94hatchback
#295800 the igniter hmmm.. thats something to check. Thanks!
By TrailerTrash
94hatchback wrote:the igniter hmmm.. thats something to check. Thanks!

if u get a new dizzy it comes with a new coil, ignitor and icm. you can kill all those birds with one stone!
By 94hatchback
#301480 Well new dizzy and still the same hesitation.. Im at a loss. Any other suggestions or ideas?
By dbrooks
#301481 I'd check your TPS. I've noticed that they get damaged a lot during swaps and shipping.

Good luck :thumb:
By jrhdominos
#301513 I have the same thing going on with my car...and Im beginning to think there is no fix, lol, jk. I know there is a fix...I hate it but Im just going to start throwing parts at my b16 and see where that gets me. Ive replaced the dizzy as well, but to no avail.
By 94hatchback
#301529 yea my TPS is kinda f'ed maybe ill throw a new one of those on there.. im with you man im tired of throwing money at this thing.. im about ready to just rip it out and throw in a D16z6 hahaha

my timing seems spot on, it does seem a little better with the new dizzy but it still hesitates.. i didnt play with ignition timing too much yet tho.. i did with the old dizzy but i just threw the new one on and went for a spin.. ill throw the light on it again tonight maybe and see if maybe its off a little

thanks for the suggestions
By bks84
#301538 yes, throwing parts/money at it will definitely fix it. It kills me that people dont do the necessary diag for problems like this.

The distributor you used was it brand new or used but in good working condition?

you said the TPS is "f-d up" how so? and if you've noticed its "f-d" up, why not replace it before you replaced everything else? If the ECU doesnt know where the throttle blade is, it will cause issues. Before you hack it off and try replacing it, try calibrating it first. If you dont know how, here, use this.

do you have a stock crank pulley on the car or is it aftermarket? reason I ask, I did some work on my friends GSR which had an aftermarket crank pulley. When I timed it, it was off since I was going w/the crank pulley and not the timing belt pulley. If you have an aftermarket pulley, pull it off and verify timing via the marks on the timing belt pull, oil pump and cam gears.

Have you tried cleaning your IACV?