B16, B18, B20
By PabloCruise
bks84 wrote:Ive never had an engine consume a lot of oil, so my advice may suck or be wrong. I'll my friends experience though...

he has an all original 98 GSR w/average mileage (under 150k). He burns a lot of oil, so much so the bumper changes colors.

we did a CR test and the results were, they pointed to a healthy engine. 200 on all four. Leak down was a lil under 6% on all cylinders.

he mentioned that if he parks the car on an incline (dont remember the direction) that upon start up, it will smoke horribly. however, if he turns the car around and parks it the opposite direction it doesnt do it nearly as bad.

if he parks it the direction that it doesnt smoke on start up, then through out the day or trip (w/e) it will still burn oil.

it could still be the oil control ring... but it could also be the seals.

whats the mileage on the engine? all stock? if you're comfortable tearing the engine partially apart and have the ability, i guess you could toss some new seals on and see if it helps. I dont know of any tests that you can do to rule out a seal vs. oil control rings.

good luck.

When testing compression, you had ~200 PSI? What is the CR spec for the B18C1?