B16, B18, B20
By 94Si Hatch
#291990 I have an offer from a friend who re-builds motors and such, and he has a B18B1 motor that he has offered me $150 and my old D16 if I do this swap. The engine has less than 100K miles (if I'm not mistaken) and is in good condition. He also offered to help me re-build the engine with aftermarket parts and then put it in my hatch. The B18 has 142HP DOHC, and a lower rev-limit, and it's also NOT VTEC... but it's a B series. -__- The D16 has 125HP, high rev limit, SOHC VTEC.
I'm wondering whether or not I should take advantage of the offer, or keep the D16...
PS: I'm getting an offer like this because he's a really good friend of mine. Secondly, would an AEM SRI fit my bay with a B18? Because I already had one on my D16.
By bigpunn421
#292054 whats a aem sir?

and yes do the swap. if its complete swap and motor is legit do it.

hp isnt everything. but the b18 non vtec will make more hp and torque than your motor. its only 30lbs or so heavier with trans.

plus if you plan to work the engine and mod it the b is a better platform.
By TrailerTrash
#292056 a motor for $150 is a good deal i guess... but thats not a complete swap.
By Ajax1989
#292073 Aem is a company that makes intakes and other parts.. and a sri is a short ram intake
By 94Si Hatch
94_jdm_ferio wrote:Aem is a company that makes intakes and other parts.. and a sri is a short ram intake

Yes.

Yeah, I talked around with a friend locally who has a Civic EG, and he recommended the same, and said pretty much the same. I just didn't want to invest for minimal gain. Thanks :)
By 94Si Hatch
TrailerTrash wrote:a motor for $150 is a good deal i guess... but thats not a complete swap.

I understand, I'm buying everything else if I do it.
By dbrooks
#292436 I say do it. You'll be very happy with a B18. It's a good solid motor and they can be awesome if you turbo them. They can hold 300hp really well. I bought a full GSR swap just for the tranny basically. I'm gonna sell the B18C and pick up a low mileage B18B and boost it.

They're good motors, reliable, and are easy to work on :thumb:

Plus, that's a hell of a deal
By 94Si Hatch
#292767 Yeah, I know it's a hell of a deal! I heard it, and practically shit myself. Anyways, I was more so worried whether or not the future benefits were better. Thanks! :
By FG2_Andrew
#292778 SAVE THE SOHC!
By bks84
#292785 id keep the Z6.
By blk92hb
#292812 i would go b and the aem sri will work but you will have to cut an inch off the tb side to make it fit.