B16, B18, B20
By ALLMPGcivic803
#291326 Hello i just recently purchased a 94 coupe its not my first honda but its my first project civic i am building this one as a DD and want maximum fuel economy whats the best engine to use to get me 50MPG or more or is that even possible
By bigJOE671
#291327 You can put an LS fifth gear in your tranny.

My car (94 Si) has a B16 w/GSR tranny. Its getting at most 28MPG! This is also because I have a leak at my header. So i'm supposed to get more MPG if I didn't have a leak.
By Ecc0
#291331 I get 38.4mpg which is pretty good and recon could be better once I do my valve clearence and put new plugs in.
By ALLMPGcivic803
#291332 i know that stock the d series run close to 40 but i like the looks of the b16's and i dont really plan to build this car for power i want a 99 to build boosted but this is just gonna be DD and it would be cool to have a b series and still get 40 or better
By ALLMPGcivic803
#291333 i want a b16a2 and i am gonna go forged everything build the head and port and polish the mani head and throttle body as well as go with headers lighter flywheel anything to get better mpg's
By Apexracing
#291335 if you want mpgs with a b series run a ls transmission.
By ALLMPGcivic803
#291338 is it geared really high or something cause i dont want to have to rev to 4 just to shift without bogging i like to shift right around 2000 i take it easy on my DD's lol i am a pretty good wrencher i just dont know a whole lot about hondas in paticular i know that theyre great on gas and they ar dependable as hell i have 330,000 miles on my toyota camry but it only gets 26 average 29 highway
By Apexracing
#291341 Well it is a longer transmission. The b16 trans get bad high way mpg because they are so short.
By ALLMPGcivic803
#291347 so if i get a b16a2 and run an ls transmission my highway mpg would be good but what are we looking at in town? is there anyone who has run this combo that can give me some numbers
By blk92hb
#291399 i have a jdm b16a with the sir trans (the same as the b16a2 si combo) and i get 27 in the city.
i would say for best dd combo would be the si trans with a integra ls 5th gear. the first 4 gears are great for the city, but when on the hwy your doing 4k rpms at 70, with the ls 5th gear you will kick the rpms down and get better hwy miles
By ALLMPGcivic803
#291452 ive built plenty of motors but ive never ever opened up a tranny my knowledge is very lacking when it comes transmissions is this easy to do or should i look at paying someone else to do it
By blk92hb
ALLMPGcivic803 wrote:ive built plenty of motors but ive never ever opened up a tranny my knowledge is very lacking when it comes transmissions is this easy to do or should i look at paying someone else to do it

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=2775

this should help.
By Greasedmonkey
#291550 My horribly running B20 w/B16 tranny gets 26 on a regular basis and I can get it to 30 if I drive like a sane person. But thats no fun.
By bigpunn421
#291642 b16 trans gets low high way mpg but alot better city mpg.

i have a jdm b18c supercharged and i get around 32mpg+ but if its weekend driving i get around 20mpg heavy foot