B16, B18, B20
By Hatch-O-Doom
#288685 Okay, So breif back ground.
B20 Turbo Stock internals.
.57trim on 11 psi.
also using a walbro 255
Not running aftermarket coil or anything...
car is tuned.

So I was sittin in my car eatin lunch, I had a short one so I just ate inside, and let the car idle so I could listen to the radio.

Then it felt rough, my AFR gauge showed it goin lean, 16-17 for a few secs. I hit the gas cuz headlights were dimming... and it went back to normal.. it did this 2 times...
So I go to get a hair cut, let the car warm up for about 5-10 mins before i left the parking lot...
did one short pull in second gear to get up to speedlimit...

when I left the hair cut place. my car was idling really rough and wouldnt show AFRs at all.. it was super lean... I drove it like a granny cuz I dont wanna blow it.. and all of a sudden it goes back to normal like nothing happened, but the check engine light did pop... havent checked it yet...
drove it for a bit, stopped at the store on the way home... and then turned it back on and it did the same thing, check engine light was off to start off, but then all ove a sudded everything happened again and it came back one...

I checked all lines, everything was connected.
no leakes, good on oil. good on everything.

where can I start to see whats goin on?
Can someone help?

Will disconnecting the battery make me lose my tune?

:cry:
Last edited by Hatch-O-Doom on Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JUICE
#288692 definitely start by pulling the CEL code. what program you running? if it's a chip, pulling the battery won't hurt it
By Hatch-O-Doom
#288694 I am running chrome.

and its really weird. ill pull the code tomorrow after work... I am thinking plugs are bad, but why would it go back to normal if it was plugs... ill also call the tuner in the morning
By Hatch-O-Doom
#288873 Alright pulled the code
and it is Code 16 (fuel injectors)

Its weired very weird...
When I first turn the car on it runs fine. no problems.. Ill wait about 5-10 mins before driveing it... ill go somewhere turn the car off go inside come back turn it on and it runs horrible... it has happened a few times. turning on and off doesnt fix it. and it will lean out to where my AFR gauge wont regesture it at all...

When it turns on for the first time its like nothing is wrong with it...
I need to get a gauge to make sure everything is getting power, I dont see why it wouldnt be gettin power tho. cuz it works fine the first time.
By Hatch-O-Doom
#288902 Alright, Well since the Fuel filter on this car seemed to never have been replaced. I went out and got a new one, and got some NGK spark plugs.
Replaced everything. warmed the car up, went around the block did a few pulls in second and third.... got back, cooled it down and turned it off, waited a few mins, turned it back on and right now it seems to be okay,
The AFR's show are looking good, seems improved over the last few times. But IDK if it fixed the idle leaning issue...

I looked all over google. Saw people haveing the same issue, most sites refrenced were HondaTech... but all the open topics havent been active in like 3 years, and no one ever posted a solution so I feel like no one ever solved the problem...
By JUICE
#288933 if the filter you took off weighed a ton, that may have been the issue. if it was, change it again come spring time
By Hatch-O-Doom
#288935 Well fired her up, went for a quick drive to tbell, on my way home I did a fort gear pull and check engine light popped again, started going lean. Made it back, still code 16.
Could it be a tune. Issue? Bad injectors or fuel pump?
By JUICE
#288936 what kind of injectors are you running?? I know there's no mistaking wheather my walbro is running or not.. that thing is loud as hell in my gutted hatch :lol:
By Hatch-O-Doom
#289015 RC440 and I can hear my walbro too, but could it be that its nit sending enough fuel?
By JUICE
#289021 the walbro should be fine then. somethings up with your injectors, the wiring to them, or the ECU... how long has it been since the car got tuned?
By Hatch-O-Doom
#289024 It was tuned 2 weeks ago?
And I pretty much babbied it till about last week when I hit 500miles on everything then started doin hard pulls... and then the other day is when it started popping the code.
By Hatch-O-Doom
#289026 Juice, I been reading on H-T about people kinda haveing a simmalar issue, there coming up with Main Replay, could this be the problem with mine even if it does happen when I beat on it and after turning on and off?
By Hatch-O-Doom
#289195 I was out there all day yesterday dicking around on the car... pulled stuff off made sure it was good, put it back on... went for a drive, beat on it, and then parked it, pretty much just tried to make the issue happen again and I was having trouble with it...

Then I finnaly made it happen... and it was goin lean pretty bad.. So I went back under the hood seeing if I am missing something and what was I missing then I ran my hand over the injector pig tails and the number 4 injector was really loose, so I pushed it down and it started to sound normal. I had a friend sit in the car and watch the AFR gauge while I pused it and let off it and he said it was goin back to normal.. So I turned the car off and pulled it off checked to see what was goin on, the clip didnt really stop me from pulling it off which was weird, so I put it all back togather reclipped it and then everything was fine. I havent had a issue so far, At the moment it seems fixed... I Hope it is...
By Eg6H2D
Hatch-O-Doom wrote:I was out there all day yesterday dicking around on the car... pulled stuff off made sure it was good, put it back on... went for a drive, beat on it, and then parked it, pretty much just tried to make the issue happen again and I was having trouble with it...

Then I finnaly made it happen... and it was goin lean pretty bad.. So I went back under the hood seeing if I am missing something and what was I missing then I ran my hand over the injector pig tails and the number 4 injector was really loose, so I pushed it down and it started to sound normal. I had a friend sit in the car and watch the AFR gauge while I pused it and let off it and he said it was goin back to normal.. So I turned the car off and pulled it off checked to see what was goin on, the clip didnt really stop me from pulling it off which was weird, so I put it all back togather reclipped it and then everything was fine. I havent had a issue so far, At the moment it seems fixed... I Hope it is...

Damn so the Injector plug itself was loose?. damn. Do they click inplace at all. or have that secure wire on them like the OEM ones do? Im not to familiar with RC injectors like that just yet.

Yea but definately have that extra secured on there at all times. No fuel means kaboom. especially under boost. Not good.