B16, B18, B20
By Orlando462
#285913 So yesterday night i was at mcdonalds and i noticed that my lights were really dim and my instrument cluster was barely visible. on top of that, my car was idling like a godamn subaru. I turnd off the car and wasnt able to start it unless i push started it. On the way home my HIDs were flickering and my car sounded like it was out of timing. If i turned off my lights and hazards when driving, it would drive fine. I would turn on my hazards and lights and it would want to cut off.

I first guessed it was my alternator, but after i changed it it still would shut off when i disconnected a battery.Could it be the wiring on the motor?
maybe a short to ground? Any ideas? thanks.
By 92civic_vx
#285920 i would test the battery, if the alt. died you drove it running off only the battery, it may have killed the battery. most parts stores will charge and test the battery for free.
By Orlando462
92civiclx wrote:i would test the battery, if the alt. died you drove it running off only the battery, it may have killed the battery. most parts stores will charge and test the battery for free.

ill definitely do that. but what explains the bogging when the hazards are turned on?
By 92civic_vx
#285946 if the battery is bad, when you turn on lights or hazards the battery cant power them and the car properly so they both suffer.
By Orlando462
#286107 So i changed the alternator and the battery. Still the same thing. My alternator is not getting any power probably. so it must be a short in my harness or something.
By bk_civiceg
#286117 Check all your grounds. One loose ground and it all goes haywire.
By ExCoupe94
#287106 ^this fer sure