B16, B18, B20
By JohnAWESOME
#285787 Hey guys so I keep changing my mind on plans for my hatch. Right now I am looking at swaping in a B series instead of rebuilding my D15z1. Question is what one I have looked at spec sheets and still not sure what route. I heard that the B16's have no torque so I am kinda leaning to a B18. I know that the B18c1 is decent and I have seen them for sale localy in my price range. I plan on going through the engine and puting new internals in it. I haven't really researched the B20 to much.

I have been reading lots of turbo builds and its been making me think of doing a turbo B18.

Anyways just wondering what motor tranny you all would do?
By dbrooks
#285789 B18c1 is an awesome motor. I highly recommend that, especially for turbo applications. :thumb:
By JohnAWESOME
#285790 So if I go B18c1 and build it for turbo with low compression pistons do you know how it would drive without the turbo? I might get one build it up then have to save up some more cash for the turbo setup. If it would drive bad then I would just wait to do it all in one shot. What I mean by how would it drive I am meaning slugish
By dbrooks
#285795 Well, after you build a motor, you need to break it in before adding a turbo. It would probably be a lot like stock with different internals in it. You're not really going to want to be a leadfoot while you're breaking it in though. There's a lot of different methods that people say you should do when you're breaking one in. Overall, it would be a BADDDD car when you boost it. Here's a prime example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pltnCewR6s
By Hatch-O-Doom
#285805 I just did a Turbo B20 swap in my EG

All I gotta do now is install my block gaurd and headstuds and I should be fine for a while.

some info on the B20 is its weaker motor is a big flaw. But if your building it , its not gonna matter, B20s can be bad as shit. I was gonna do a B18 swap but it is more cost efficent to me to do a b20 and build that.
By Greasedmonkey
Hatch-O-Doom wrote:I just did a Turbo B20 swap in my EG

All I gotta do now is install my block gaurd and headstuds and I should be fine for a while.

some info on the B20 is its weaker motor is a big flaw. But if your building it , its not gonna matter, B20s can be bad as shit. I was gonna do a B18 swap but it is more cost efficent to me to do a b20 and build that.

The flaw being the thinner walls. Which can only be delt with by sleeving. Not a block guard.
By Ecc0
Greasedmonkey wrote:

The flaw being the thinner walls. Which can only be delt with by sleeving. Not a block guard.

I love you greasedmonkey for you delightful yet right to the pint way of giving tech advise. It's just what a true Honda head needs
By Hatch-O-Doom
Greasedmonkey wrote:

Very true indeed. The blockgaurd wont help my thin walls. but it will give me a pice of mind, and stabilize cylinder wobble if I beat on it.
By JohnAWESOME
#285897 To tell the truth I have heard of a block guard but I don't have a clue on what they do or look like. Juice I have been following your build thread and love all the drag videos you put up. For me it is a huge inspiration for what I am thinking I want to build
By JUICE
JohnAWESOME wrote:To tell the truth I have heard of a block guard but I don't have a clue on what they do or look like. Juice I have been following your build thread and love all the drag videos you put up. For me it is a huge inspiration for what I am thinking I want to build

thanks man!!!

JohnAWESOME wrote:Just found this what do you all think to much $$$

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2721960298.html

if that comes with some paperwork that a machine shop assembled and balanced it, then thats a good deal! but yea, gotta be extra skeptical with ANYTHING you go to buy from CL
By Hatch-O-Doom
#285907 JohnAWESOME, I just saw that you are from Washington I dont know if you know Fluid Motorsports there by the Tacoma Dome, they do swaps for a really good price. Thats where I took my EG for the swap since I dont have time or a garage right now.
I have seen there work quite a few times and everytime I was impressed.

If you are looking for something like that I would talk to them as they get great deals on motors. and its way cheaper then that link that was just posted. just my .02c if you need there contact info

www.fluidmotorsports.net
(253) 678-1999