B16, B18, B20
By Gustavo
#279413 Short story is I am going to school for Pro-Tech it's auto mechanic. N our instructor is a Honda, Nissan, N Toyota dude. He has a Ek hatch and he has got a deal worked out with Skunk2 n they will b sending some suspension to him so we can learn how to do suspension n stuff. I asked him if he could talk 2 Skunk2 n see if we could get discounts or if they would donate stuff 2 "us" (Me) so i can build my motor. He said it sounded like a good idea. So these r my plans if everything goes right.

GSR head: Skunk2 stuff.
*Stage 2 Cams tuner series
*Pro Series Valves
*Tuner Series Valve Springs
*Titanium Retainers

Ls bottom end:
*Forged rods & pistons
*Piston Rings
*ARP rod bolts
*ACL bearings

Also i'm needing help with what brand/type of rods n pistons i should get? Should i raise my compression or keep it the same?
Last edited by Gustavo on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
By poorman type-r
#279427 Carillo has the strongest rods but they run at $1400 a set for their H-beam rods. So Eagle rods, and Wiseco pistons? Just get a good brand name company with a good rep and you will be good. Yes, raise the compression if you want to make power, a stock ls makes 9.2:1 - 9.4:1. So you wouldn't be making shit for power. You should go with 11:1 - 12:1 pistons you will bump your numbers up significantly.
By bks84
#279434 Im a fan of Mahle pistons (so much so, I named my cat Mahle) and Eagle rods. I think Eagle has a Econolite (or something similar) rod, thats pretty price friendly and will suit you well for an NA build.

But... you dont NEED forged rods or pistons to make decent power on a NA build. Ive used RS machine 84.5" "ITR" pistons on stock LS/B20 rods in my last build, made decent power. Granted I couldnt rev to 10k, but I also didnt make power to 10k, so there wasnt a point.

If you do run forged rods, you wont need to buy ARP rod bolts separately, since the rods should come w/them.

Do you plan on having the head ported? if so, by who?
By blk92hb
#279440 you have to remember the gsr head will raise the compression.

for pistons i would look at inlinefours pistons. they are made from the same company that make the factory piston, plus you can get them treated with wcp treatment.

for the rods i would use stock just have them balanced and run arp bolts that will save you some money.

good luck with the build i would love to see how much power it will make :thumb:
By bks84
#279455 Using the GSR head may raise it, but not enough to take advantage of the cams.
By Gustavo
poorman type-r wrote:Carillo has the strongest rods but they run at $1400 a set for their H-beam rods. So Eagle rods, and Wiseco pistons? Just get a good brand name company with a good rep and you will be good. Yes, raise the compression if you want to make power, a stock ls makes 9.2:1 - 9.4:1. So you wouldn't be making shit for power. You should go with 11:1 - 12:1 pistons you will bump your numbers up significantly.

I will look into all of them. How can i find out wat my compression is?
By Gustavo
bks84 wrote:Im a fan of Mahle pistons (so much so, I named my cat Mahle) and Eagle rods. I think Eagle has a Econolite (or something similar) rod, thats pretty price friendly and will suit you well for an NA build.

But... you dont NEED forged rods or pistons to make decent power on a NA build. Ive used RS machine 84.5" "ITR" pistons on stock LS/B20 rods in my last build, made decent power. Granted I couldnt rev to 10k, but I also didnt make power to 10k, so there wasnt a point.

If you do run forged rods, you wont need to buy ARP rod bolts separately, since the rods should come w/them.

Do you plan on having the head ported? if so, by who?

Wat is this head ported stuff? N i was also planning on getting the CTR or ITR pistons from Password Jdm. U think that would be good?
By Gustavo
blk92hb wrote:you have to remember the gsr head will raise the compression.

for pistons i would look at inlinefours pistons. they are made from the same company that make the factory piston, plus you can get them treated with wcp treatment.

for the rods i would use stock just have them balanced and run arp bolts that will save you some money.

good luck with the build i would love to see how much power it will make :thumb:

Thanks n hope everything goes well. :thumb:
By Gustavo
bks84 wrote:Using the GSR head may raise it, but not enough to take advantage of the cams.

Idk wat my compression is right now. I wanna find out.
By bks84
#279464 Port work, is where you have the head worked BY A PROFESSIONAL (who knows what they're doing) to optimize flow characteristics. Possibily the biggest contributing factor to making good power on All Motor builds.

CTR/ITR pistons from Password are not forged...

As far as what your compression is now... is the engine stock?
By blk92hb
#279475 with the port work you dont have to do much, just a bowl blend (the area behind the valves being smoothed out to match the runners) and a gasket match (opening the intake, exhaust ports to match the intake manifold and exhaust manifold)

the ctr/itr pistons from password are factory pistons, you might be able to run itr pistons with no problem, but i think the compression will be to high for the ctr pistons to run pump gas.

here is a compression calculator http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html
here is a list or pistons that inlinefour sells http://inlinefour.com/pistons.html

i hope that helps
By Gustavo
bks84 wrote:Port work, is where you have the head worked BY A PROFESSIONAL (who knows what they're doing) to optimize flow characteristics. Possibily the biggest contributing factor to making good power on All Motor builds.

Ok n yes my engine is stock. I think my compression is 10:?: ?
By Gustavo
blk92hb wrote:with the port work you dont have to do much, just a bowl blend (the area behind the valves being smoothed out to match the runners) and a gasket match (opening the intake, exhaust ports to match the intake manifold and exhaust manifold)

the ctr/itr pistons from password are factory pistons, you might be able to run itr pistons with no problem, but i think the compression will be to high for the ctr pistons to run pump gas.

here is a compression calculator http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html
here is a list or pistons that inlinefour sells http://inlinefour.com/pistons.html

i hope that helps

I never actually thought about getting my head ported n stuff. I checked out inlinefour pistons n they seem pretty nice n some are not bad price wise. I really like these wat do u think about these? http://inlinefour.com/il4-pro-cast-pist ... tment.html
By poorman type-r
Gustavo wrote:
bks84 wrote:Port work, is where you have the head worked BY A PROFESSIONAL (who knows what they're doing) to optimize flow characteristics. Possibily the biggest contributing factor to making good power on All Motor builds.

An LS has 9.2:1 JDM 9.4:1 USDM. So with a GSR head you might have 9.5:1 - 9.7:1
By Gustavo
poorman type-r wrote:
Gustavo wrote:

An LS has 9.2:1 JDM 9.4:1 USDM. So with a GSR head you might have 9.5:1 - 9.7:1

Thanks. Is there an accurate way 2 check it?